Keeping a dog in Bukit Bintang area.

Hi, my name is Mark and I'm hoping someone could help me about dogs in KLCC/Bukit Bintang area. I've been scouring the internet trying to find out for myself, but have found a fair bit of conflicting information.

As I understand it the BDKL? (sorry might have acronym wrong....I'm talking about KLCC/Bukit Bintang local government) allows you to keep a small dog of no more than 7kgs in a condo at apartment building, and I found a list of approved breeds. My Jack Russell is less than 7kgs, but Jack Russell was not on the list of breeds. Anybody know where I stand?

Also some online resources state a dog can't live above the second floor, while other resources make no mention of this. Does anyone have a definitive answer? I have found a top floor condo with a private garden lawn in my price range.

Finally, in some places I have read a condos by-laws cannot prevent me having a dog in my home if the local govt. regulations are not being breached, but I still hear of buildings that are not pet friendly. Can anyone clear that one up?

Thanks in advance, any assistance would be much appreciated. It's a deal breaker for me. She's my best mate and I'm not leaving her!!!!

DBKL do allow dogs and the list is not exhaustive. However, individual management committees can decide they do not want pets in their residences. There is no rule from DBKL about which floor they can be kept on. It is not permitted to walk pets in the public areas of most condos e.g. around the pool area, tennis court, etc. There is no green space in BB, so nowhere to walk a dog apart from the streets - of course on a lead at all times. Don't forget to apply for a dog licence.

Thankyou Gravitas, yes I was aware of the need for the licence.

I've spent a fair bit of time walking around KL. Walking the streets doesn't faze me too much, I don't have any problem walking a while to get anywhere!

She's only little anyway, so a good game of tennis ball gets most of her energy out!

You could always take her up to Desa Park City park for a run at the weekend - it's full of dogs and their owners.

I'll be sure to check out Desa Park City park. All the online resources I've found make mention of it.

Thanks so much for your efforts.

You may  need to be a bit careful about playing ball inside a condo unit because of the noise for the people below.  Noise also travels across the floor slab to neighbouring units. Any complaints can result in being asked to leave, which can have financial implications.

Dogs can be off the lead at DPC.

Does it make any difference that I'm intending to purchase condo not rent? High rise living is foreign to me!!

I am aware that my dog cannot be a nuisance, and she isn't. She's well trained and obedient.... and I'm a well trained owner who cleans up after my dog and does not let her run amok!

You can be fined by Management Committees for nuisance noise

You must be crazy to think of buying at the moment as the property bubble looks like it will burst because the government just put a ban on any more units that will sell for RM500k upwards being built until the over 20,000 unsold units nationwide have been shifted.

There is also virtually no secondary market in which to sell properties, especially in DBKL area. Investors buy off plan.

I'm still early in the process. I have a lot more things to learn before I go for the home purchase.

Yes, do check out the maintenance charges paid by owners in condos as they can  be surprisingly high

And if you are retirement age, think of moving to Penang, not KL. Quality of life is 10 times higher and there is a very active expat community - which is non-existent in KL for retirees. Lots of Australians on Penang Island as well. I own property in BB but live in Penang - because it is a no brainer. However, there are restrictions about pets too, although a more accepting society.

If you want to explore the community in Penang it runs on Facebook and the main groups to sign up for are Partners in Penang and Expats in Penang

Thanks Gravitas, but I think logistically Penang would make my work a bit too challenging.

Others make it work. It's actually quicker to get from Penang to KLIA than it is from BB.

The problem with dogs in condos is that it is offensive to Malays because they are considered dirty like pigs are.  They are also scared to get in a lift with a dog and terrified when dogs bark at them. The thing to remember is that we live in a Muslim country and we should respect that. It's why it may be better to find a house rather than a condo.

The common problem with dogs is they can yap and cause disturbance. Dogs who do this can be reported to DBKL and action can be taken to have the dog removed. Also, if an owner allows a dog owner to live in his apartment he could be fined by the Management Council if it breaks the By-Laws of the condo. If an MC really wants a no dog policy they can make life very difficult for the tenant and owner. That means deactivating access cards, fines, even court action (they usually never go this far).

Whether you are an owner or tenant makes not difference. You must follow the condominium By-Laws. If the By-Laws say not dogs then you shouldn't bring a dog to that condominium.

People commonly flout the By-Laws by having large dogs or more than one dog, and even for a Management Committee is is very difficult to do much about it. The Management really only sends out Letters to owners to not allow tenants with dogs.

I've seen lots of "dog" issue in condos in KL, from people keeping more than one dog, to neighbours complaining about yapping to Malays angry at a Japanese dog owner because the Japanese always uses the lift as they live on a high floor, to dog poop in the carpark. I've also seen DBKL make random visits and put notices on peoples doors.

But in most cases, the Management Councils have not themselves taken much action except sending letters to tenants and the owners involved. In many cases the Management is reluctant to get too involved and just wait for the tenant to move out.

The condo By-Laws cannot actually supersede the government Laws which causes confusion and reluctance for many Management Councils to act firmly in these matters. As long as the dog doesn't yap, they usually stay, but those tenants are disliked by many residents and complaints are often and will be brought up in monthly Council meetings all the time.

For your information, you can buy the latest version of Strata Title Act at most major stationery shops which is inexpensive and in the appropriate section it clearly states the law about dogs in condos.

abdulkhalil wrote:

For your information, you can buy the latest version of Strata Title Act at most major stationery shops which is inexpensive and in the appropriate section it clearly states the law about dogs in condos.

Good information. Thankyou

http://edog.dbkl.gov.my/edog2017/dog-li … ggungjawab

Good information here for anybody else who may be interested.

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Free advertising is not allowed on the forum. Please register your services in the business directory.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct