Hanoi to Halong Bay

Dear Folk

I would like to know if there anybody has experience stay overnight at cruise in Halong Bay? Is there any luxury cruise?. How can I get from Hanoi airport to Halong Bay? Any conversion transportation or just have to use the public bus?

Thank you

Since you're after luxury cruise, here's one from TripAdvisor with good reviews.

All these HLB tours usually start from Ha Noi, in the old quarters.
They'll pick you up from Ha Noi in their minibus and transfer to Ha Long.
It's part of the cruise deal.
IMO, you better spend a night in Ha Noi. That way it'd be more economical.

As for airport transfer, you can pre-book a private car to go to anywhere from Noi Bai.
A direct transfer (one way) from Noi Bai to Ha Long in a car will cost you around $75-$90, while Noi Bai to Ha Noi will cost a mere $15 at best.

Here's one such service suggested on an old Lonely Planet thread.

Just be careful .. in the recent past there were a few serious boat accidents in the Ha Long Bay causing fatalities. Google "Halong Bay accident".

senwl wrote:

Since you're after luxury cruise, here's one from TripAdvisor with good reviews.

All these HLB tours usually start from Ha Noi, in the old quarters.
They'll pick you up from Ha Noi in their minibus and transfer to Ha Long.
It's part of the cruise deal.
IMO, you better spend a night in Ha Noi. That way it'd be more economical.

As for airport transfer, you can pre-book a private car to go to anywhere from Noi Bai.
A direct transfer (one way) from Noi Bai to Ha Long in a car will cost you around $75-$90, while Noi Bai to Ha Noi will cost a mere $15 at best.

Here's one such service suggested on an old Lonely Planet thread.

Just be careful .. in the recent past there were a few serious boat accidents in the Ha Long Bay causing fatalities. Google "Halong Bay accident".

I have checked the list earlier, there was 10 to 15 cruise but cannot believe if they are the luxury  or just normal because some of them told me that It's not.

Collwing wrote:

I have checked the list earlier, there was 10 to 15 cruise but cannot believe if they are the luxury  or just normal because some of them told me that It's not.

Not sure what the benchmarks are for luxury.
This one looks (from their website) pretty luxurious.
Disclaimer:
It's just a suggestion for one's consideration, definitely not a recommendation.

m husband and i booked a 2 days n 1 night tour for Halong bay, over night at a 3* cruise, for the price 2,6 Millionen VND, about 120 USD/pax.
if u d like stay ober night at cruise, you just can book via an agent/ tour operator or. we searched online n called them to book.
for 4* n 5* cruise, the price for 2 days n 1 night s about 4 Millionen to 9 Millionen VND/ Pax.
the trip was very nice. we met another touris from USA, Colombian. a US Tourist, she booked a tour 3 days n 2 nights. then she changed to 2 days n 1 night. Because there was nothing interested to do at the 3rd day. so recommended her to change to 2 days n 1 night toir.
we took the tour in 5-6.September 2017. It was raining. on the way to Halong bay, the tour guide told that "it s possible that today we can not stay over night on board because of bad weather". so explain to your agent/tour operator about the price before you book.
They picked us up at a point between Hanoi and Ha Long, because we lived in a small town (Phố Mới, Quế Võ, Bắc Ninh), located direkt to the highway from HN to Ha Long. so that we could save time n money (for the taxi from home town to Hanoi - the start point of the tour). You can do the same thing also. Beucause it s easier n cheaper for you to take a Taxi from Noi Bai to any point of the high way Bac Ninh-Ha Long, for example you take a Taxi to the brigde Đại Phúc. and the tour guide will pick you there. Because every bus from Ha Noi to Ha Long will take this path, via high way Bac Ninh-Ha Long.
you can googel n you can see the path from Hanoi to Ha Long bay n from Noi Bai airport to Ha Long.
😊