Saigon Photography

Hi Everyone,

I'm Jacky and just joined this forum.
Anyone wanna come out on Sunday and do some Saigon street photography?

I'm not professional and don't have high-end equipment,
but I'm interested in photography and wanna find people have the same thoughts as mine.

Pls leave your message or text me if you do~

Best regards,

Jacky

Street photography is an excellent idea but I would make one suggestion - go alone.
There are two reasons for this:

You can go where you fancy without having to consult others, that meaning you tend to get stuff others can't imagine even exists

You get to talk to the people you snap instead of discussing the topic with people you're with. That leads to you finding out a lot more about what you see.

I've been way too busy of late to get out but I always go alone.
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 3&p=19

If you go, please start a thread on the Vietnam section so others can experience a little of what you see.

Hi Fred,

Ya in many respects i agree with you,
actually i do it all the time so wanna find if there's other people to do it together.

Fred wrote:

Street photography is an excellent idea but I would make one suggestion - go alone.

My take is different and you will see that I think about this a lot!

I feel like I intimidate people when I am alone. I feel like my presence disturbs the scene. I am a different color, and taller than everyone. I am conspicuous. I don't know the language. Psychologically, in quieter places I feel like a snooper, and sometimes like a creeper, even if I smile. And I try to always remember to smile and be less imposing. I am rarely going for portraits. Even so, I do prefer to get a person in the shot, but I can feel like an invader just taking a photo of an empty alley if I am being watched on the sidelines.

The result is I often resort to shooting stealthily. My camera has silent shutter and 25MP so I can shoot from farther away and crop down.

When alone, it is one-on-one, subject - photographer.  I cannot help but notice you, and you notice me. It is a human thing.

When I walk with one or a couple others, it is one-on-group. A group which is self involved and easily ignored by the subject. Especially if dressed like tourists. I imagine the response of the subject to be, "ho hum, another bunch of tourists, I've seen them before, they will be out of here in a moment" with no expectation of interaction required. The subject will just go about their business like we are invisible, which is exactly what I want.

For example, forget photography. You are sitting at a restaurant table alone, and at the next table  another person is sitting alone. You don't look at each other, but you are aware of them. You are aware that they are aware of you. Creates a little tension and self-consciousness.
Then that person leaves, and a couple arrives and sits at the table. They are chatting away, and you feel completely at ease. Anonymous. No tension.

Yes Fred you would introduce yourself and make friends, and all would be well! My mother was like that, she could walk up to any stranger (and did) and tell her life story, to my continual embarrassment. They would smile and be happy with the interruption!

^
Nice post.
I rarely have the slightest problem with anyone when I'm out and about, and that's usually they want me to take photos when I'm not bothered. I usually snap them anyway and delete later.
I also stand out like a sore thumb but find people are almost always friendly and happy but I do take the odd distance shot with my 40X optical zoom when I want natural, unposed photos.

The meeting people part is a massive bonus that allows me to learn a lot about this wonderful country.