Spain Non Lucrative Visa

Hello!

I am contemplating applying for the Spanish non-lucrative Visa and I have a few questions about this process so hoping someone else has done it and can help me out!

1 I work remotely for  a US company. Would this be a permissible source of income since it originates outside of Spain? I emailed two consulates and got conflicting answers, however the one that said it was ok seemed to be more familiar with what he was discussing so I am hoping he was correct :)

2 Is it true that they require you to have a signed lease of where you are going to be staying? This seems like a really tough thing to navigate. There is no way I am going to sign a year lease in Spain prior to knowing that my Visa will be approved! I have seen some people say they require an address and a lease, others say that they just want the city. This seems silly as the proof of financial means should ensure that I would not be homeless.

3 Do you have to do all of your documents and such in your home state? My home address is Minnesota but I am in Arizona much of the time and would prefer to do some of it here. Unfortunately I do not have a mailing address in Arizona though so I could not list that anywhere. It would just likely be easier to find Spanish speaking doctors, etc.

Thank you,

1. Yes

2. Yes, there are companies that will help you do this.

3. You will do it thru your closest Spanish consulate

My husband and I are currently living in Spain under a non-lucrative visa.  We are from Florida, so our Spanish Consulate was the one out of Miami and we only went to them for answers as that would be where we would submit our application.  I work remotely for my company in Florida, so yes, you can too.

As for the lease, we did not have to sign anything before we were approved.  I'm with you that I would be hesitant to sign something not knowing if I would be allowed into the country.  Also, the visa application process can take months and it wouldn't make sense to be paying for something you can't use.

As for the documents, the only item I can think of that would be state sensitive is the finger-printing, so I would recommend using your home state for that.  You must use the Consulate assigned to your state, so be sure to visit the correct one which I believe is the one in Chicago.

Good Luck!

What happens when you declare your US earnings to the Spanish taxman?

I'm genuinely interested as if you are on a non luc visa then surely there should be no earnings to declare.
And also to be clear it is only some US consulates that interpret the law this way, other consulates will claim that you cannot remote work. I know it is certainly the case for any other non EU country citizen who do not have the luxury of applying through these US consulates.

Since we have no earnings in Spain, we were told there was nothing to report.

Well that is the answer then.

Buuut, I hope you know that every single person in Spain still has to declare their income to Hacienda. There are no exclusions if you live here. If you are unemployed, receive a pension from another country,  or work remotely in the EU you still need to declare it on a tax form. Even if a tax agreement is in place or you are being taxed at the source.

I'm sure there are many people in Spain who work offshore, they will be delighted to know that they no longer need to declare their incomes here.

I believe the visa application package includes -

- background check from the FBI and your local police - not wanted for anything and not a registered sex offender. There's an outfit that has scanners at some UPS stores and you get the FBI clearance letter in a couple of hours @ $55. Go to your local police HQ for that one - in Seattle it took about 20 minutes and cost $25.
- proof (bank statements, etc.) that you have sufficient income (not assets). Recall it's in the range of 34,000 euros/year.
- letter from your doctor that you do not have any communicable diseases, including AIDS. Form letter is available on the consulate website.
- local accomodations - varies by consulate, I've been told; some say 90 days in an Airbnb or hotel is OK and others want a signed rental agreement.

Your retirement income (social security and pension) is taxable by both the US and Spain, but in the end, most don't pay any Spanish tax, though you do have to file with both. Lots of info on these various forums about that.

On taxes, you pay taxes to the country where you reside or your tax home (see irs or country regulations). In the case of the US and Spain you declare worldwide income on both countries, but due to the tax treaty, most people (unless you earn a lot of money) only pay Spanish taxes.