Travel & Bike Insurance

Hello,

In-short:
I need insurance cover for my mountain bike (cover for lost, stolen or damage) for a single trip, one day flight from London to Budapest. (I'm a permanent Hungarian resident, but originally from UK). More details below:

I am currently living permanently in Budapest, Hungary as a Hungarian Resident. I am originally from the UK, I moved here August 2017.

I will be going back home to the UK in December for Christmas then travelling back to Hungary before January. However, I will be travelling back with my mountain bike in a bike bag. I want to buy insurance to cover my bike in case it is stolen, lost or damaged only for the single, one day trip from London STD - Budapest, HUN.

What I would like to know:
- What insurance firm sells this?
- Do I need Bike Insurance or Travel Insurance? (Though I'm pretty sure I need Travel Ins.)
- Do I need insurance from UK or Hungary (Europe)? If so, which insurance company?
- Have you done this or know of anyone who has?

What I need:
- It needs to cover up to £3000 if lost, stolen or damaged.
- Excess amount, no problem.
- Cover for a single, one-way trip from London - Budapest (1 day). (I do not want to be covered for when I'm using the bike in Hungary).

I have already:
- Checked with my flight company (Ryanair) and they do not cover for bicycles. (You just have to pay £60-70 to take it on board).
- Checked Ryanair's Travel Insurance - Does not cover for bicycles.
- Looked into UK insurance, but will only cover if you return back to the UK, it seems. (I live in Budapest).

Many thanks
Matthew

MCD028 wrote:

...I will be going back home to the UK in December for Christmas then travelling back to Hungary before January. However, I will be travelling back with my mountain bike in a bike bag. I want to buy insurance to cover my bike in case it is stolen, lost or damaged only for the single, one day trip from London STD - Budapest, HUN....

I've used these types of insurance before to cover me using MTBs while further afield as it wasn't covered by my standard insurance.   I didn't actually take my bike with me.  If you live in the EU it should work OK as these insurances (below) say EU residents acceptable.

I  don't know about the bike itself (sounds carbon fibre at that value - nice one). Might be covered as just ordinary luggage but you'd need to check more directly.

Maybe here:

World Nomads.

Globelink

Let us know how you get on as it could prove useful for others.

When I moved to Europe, I bought a special hard bike case for my road bike (like this one -- no they are not cheap, but they are also a type of "insurance" from damage). Checked it as luggage for the airline. I had no other insurance. Worked fine. No damage. If you are concerned with damage, and you have an expensive bike, I do highly recommend a hard case, not a soft bag type one.