Single Affidavit, Certificate free to marry, Bacherlorhood

To any USA residents that have married in Romania.

Is this document possible to get somewhere in the USA?  I am trying to get all my documents prepared and as much as I can before I leave. 

All I have read is that this can be obtained from the US Embassy in Bucharest as the authorities in the USA do not issue this document.

If i can make it here is it as simple as having a write up saying that I am free to marry (made by myself) and then have it notarized?  If this is an option would it be good to have it apostilled?

This is not entirely correct anymore as some states do issue this now, Michigan I know does, so I wouldn't be surprised if some other states do also. (Edit:  After a quick search, I don't believe Texas issues this)

If your state doesn't issue it, you MUST get it from the embassy in Bucharest.  You will give a sworn statement in front of the consular officer.  A notarized personal statement won't be accepted.

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

When I married my wife, I didn't need anything other than the passport, birth certificate, blood test, and I just swore at a notary in Romania that I wasn't married.
If I had been married, I would have needed the divorce papers.
And a translator had to be there and at the wedding.
Unless things have changed since 2005...

GenJerDan wrote:

When I married my wife, I didn't need anything other than the passport, birth certificate, blood test, and I just swore at a notary in Romania that I wasn't married.
If I had been married, I would have needed the divorce papers.
And a translator had to be there and at the wedding.
Unless things have changed since 2005...

Since 2005?  :lol: Yes, indeed laws have changed :)  Even as of 2007 when I got married here, a trip to the embassy was required to get this certificate.

:D Ah.  Good thing I found her when I did, then.  SO much easier.

I swear the (all) governments change the rules & laws just do it to keep us on our toes, and most of the time do it without any warning.  :sosad:

Without the help of this forum Id be all over the place...and all I want to be is in Romania with my wife...

Thanks to everyone!

romaniaorbust wrote:

Without the help of this forum Id be all over the place...and all I want to be is in Romania with my wife...

Thanks to everyone!

I am glad your questions could be answered and made put at ease. Yes, Expat.com is one awesome place to have your queries answered.

Congratulations on your engagement and good luck on your wedding plans romaniaorbust.

:cheers:

SimCityAT
Expat.com Expert Team

And I think sometimes it depends on satisfying the particular clerk you are taking to. I get the unsubstantiated feeling if you almost not quite make the mark and they are in a good mood they will ok you and sometimes if you do meet the minimum but they have bad day they'll send you away for more.

JohnnyStLouis wrote:

And I think sometimes it depends on satisfying the particular clerk you are taking to. I get the unsubstantiated feeling if you almost not quite make the mark and they are in a good mood they will ok you and sometimes if you do meet the minimum but they have bad day they'll send you away for more.

Well that statement applies to just about anything that involves a government worker in Romania :)  Though when it comes to marriages, births, they are usually sticklers and not likely to let anyone slide by due to the legal implications.

I owe all of you some fine tuica.

Hello experts,

I am hoping to get any information to point me to the right direction regarding my concern.

Me and my fiance are planning to get married in Romania 2 weeks from now. I am from the Philippines and I will be going to Romania in few days. I read a lot of forums and websites about this but I am still not resolved with one thing. I have all the necessary requirements like passport, birth certificate and CENOMAR authenticated by DFA in the Philippines. I only have a single entry visa which is for Romania. Since the Philippine embassy was moved to Hungary, is there any document/s that I need to get from the Philippine embassy in Hungary that requires my presence/personal appearance in order to get married in Romania? Do I need to get a legal capacity certification from them eventhough I already have the CENOMAR authenticated by the DFA in the Philippines? If I need to get this certification, can someone advise me what to do in order to enter Hungary considering I only have a single entry visa to Romania. I hope someone who went through this will help me and share how they were able to resolve this kind of concern.

Thank you in advance!

Just an update:

I just got married recently in Romania. I didnt need a legal capacity from the embassy of the Philippines in Bucharest. I am thankful to the ones who provided me with the information from here. Just an advice to Filipinos who are have plans to marry in Romania, please make sure your documents are not expired when you submit it to the civil dept. They have a 3-month expiry here with all the documents even if you already had your papers authenticated by DFA or else you will have to go back to the Philippines to get the needed documents again.