NEW JOB SCAM IN MALAYSIA

As Nemodot agrees, an obvious scam!

What should I do, say im so tired of this topic or that I dont know how to deal in it?

No matter how many times the same question is asked, people think THEIR question will somehow get a different answer or that if its been two weeks since the last answer a more positive and beneficial answer is likely coming so lets ask again. In other words, whats the latest information? ITS THE SAME whether its today or 5000 years from now. SAME!!

For some reason that befuddles me, people think an agent can get them a job they cannot get for themselves. They think its better never to meet the employer and that an agent has special relationships and powers that create jobs from thin air. They think if an agent gets the job for the applicant, it would be impossible for the employer to reject the applicant who may fare poorly in an interview or be rejected on some other basis like skin color. As a result, there is a strong tendency to avoid direct contacts and instead have strong attraction to agents in general. This is what leads people to keep looking at the adverts as the total, final source of jobs. I do believe the warped thinking is valid when we are talking about day labor jobs in which the agent advertises "200 Heads Needed Today to Move Concrete Blocks." The problem is that that kind of thinking on the applicants part which may have been true for them at some earlier station in life never leaves them, they think its going to be the same go even for the Head of IT Department position 25 years later. I dont know how to break this inside them. Ive known adult men who stubbornly continue to seek agents in general because they say they are too shy to meet face to face and ask for a job. My answer? GET OVER IT.

Warped thinking as a general premise is what leads people to be continually duped and if they cant get passed it they are sure to lead a life of financial and mental misery.

i receive the approval just for one day. is this ok?

sieril0927 wrote:

i receive the approval just for one day. is this ok?

Approval for what? Is what ok? I dont understand your post.

I never know there is also job scams in our country, so sad.

On our property for rent website Roomz.Asia, we receive so many complain about the rental scam - the scammer will rent a short term rental for a week or so, then post their listing with a price much lower than the market, and try to convince the tenant to pay the deposit by cash in order to secure the unit, then, disappear or never attend to the tenant again.

We tried in any way to avoid them to post on Roomz but they have more ways than we do. Here is the blog we prepared, hope you can read it to avoid to be next victim https://roomz.asia/blog/?p=1049

That sounds like a pretty good scam. I'll save that for when im old and broke and need something to eat. Thank you!

A fake person can pose as an agent or owner and its almost impossible to verify the truth, especially in Malaysia when so many legit agents advertise property for which they have no formal or written agreement with the owner, nor do they possess any documents showing ownership interest in the property. In fact this topic doesnt even come up in rental meetings. A potential tenant has very little ammunition at their fingertips but they CAN 1) insist on bank transfers only 2) copy down the details of the "agents" IC at the meeting and dont ask in advance for a copy because it can be a copy of any IC or any phony IC 3) take video at the meeting to record all who were present to get their voices, sizes, and words 4) business cards, if any 5) copy of proposed rental agreement for review 6) if a condo, ask the security guard if they have ever seen that agent/owner before and if they know their name(s). 7) Alternatively, if a condo, agree to meet at the management office and do the business in front of the Manager who surely will know who the people are. If these conditions cant be met except by excuses, walk away and find another rental.

That may seem like trouble to tenants but a legit agent/owner would not object......except.....a real but dishonest agent/owner who doesnt want a record that LHDN could get later since many deal in cash to avoid income taxes. Also, at initial meetings a real agent might not have all the documents but a real agent will propose a second meeting to sign and hand over money. Also, there is no reason to hand over cash deposit at an initial meeting without anything in return like a written receipt or even a rental agreement into which the deposit has been stated but if so, then the To-Do list above is even more important because a fake agent will refuse to give his/her IC or be videoed and now he has to run ---- without the cash.

I am not ignoring the reality of an initial meeting in which a real or fake agent/owner might insist on some kind of cash deposit with the claim that 50 people have called on the advert and you better hurry to reserve it, but in all my time here a real agent doesnt say that because of the simple logic--- if they really have 50 callers on the advert they would have given the unit to the first one they could so why are they accumulating 50 names? They arent. So, a real agent/owner will gladly agree to a second meeting at which money and papers can be traded. Can the papers be faked? Of course, and then the loss will be much higher than a deposit but a true scammer knows that the longer the transaction drags out the closer they are to being caught, so speed is the key ---meet, grab some cash, run. The fake agent also knows that many potential tenants will change their mind and not show up for a second meeting.

All scams share common traits, among them the greed of the buyer who thinks they can beat the system or get something for nothing and i cant help and no longer care about people who refuse to accept that nothing is free in this life. Let them be scammed! They never learn, no matter how many times they lose. They refuse to see a psychologist, refuse to listen to reliable friends so why should anyone care? THEY are very reason scams have been perpetrated on the public for at least 5 BILLION YEARS. Even dinosaurs knew to steer clear of scammers but not these insane scammees! A right-thinking, sensible tenant doesnt need a roadmap of help, they are instinctively more careful, often including limiting their real estate dealings to branded companies, agents and lawyers if needed. But others? I have people around me who have been scammed over and over, they are addicted gamblers who just know the NEXT roll of the dice is going to be the Big Hit! They just know! And those dice never arrive. They dont need me, they dont need a good real estate agent,  they need doctors and plenty of heavy medicine.

Even your expat, residence or tourist only you have rights to see the owner ot tenant of the house or room that you wanted to rent.

In Malaysia Yes a lot of scammer Malay, Chinese malay, Indian Malay or sometimes foreign worker that stay in malaysia for many years.

Don't be hurry, make a plan ahead. Many people has been scammed because of their time frame they want fast house to rent.

Do a research Don't look for a cheapest rental find a reasonable rates.

Anyway believe to your instinct if you don't know the person and go to the management of the building all condo have management, all the apartment have management, they can help you and that is genuine help.

CVCO : You know the old saying, don't you?   "There's a sucker born every minute." It's true.

jjlong wrote:

CVCO : You know the old saying, don't you?   "There's a sucker born every minute." It's true.

What we do in here (and what i hope we always will do) is help people avoid scams. Do people listen to good advice? Suckerism is born out of the refusal to listen even to ones own heart and also the refusal to spend the time needed to avoid being taken. How can I put this....as knowledge of scammery builds up, so does the scam plan. Its leap frog all the time. There seems to come a point when people stop trying to outthink the scammers and just BELIEVE because its less work, less tiring. The scammee sleeps, the scammer doesnt. Thats what I rail against. I rail because the forums are full of good instructions about jobs, rentals, even dating, yet people keep coming in with sad stories that were avoidable. Do scammees really think it wasnt serious discussion and help? Did they think the instructions were meant for someone else? Maybe its time the quote was revised: Once a sucker, always a sucker. And there is no help for them, regretfully.

I have never been scammed in Asia. Was it dumb luck? No. It was work. Even today, do i say NO a lot? Yes. I look, listen, read, and then a big fat NO and thats it. Have I been potentially scammed? Absolutely. How many times.....a thousand? Two thousand? Is it tiring to avoid scams? Lets say it gets much easier over time and Asia is a great place for practice. Is it easy to become jaded and simply hate everyone because one thinks everyone is a scammer? Thats the hard part, learning to listen for scam words, inflections, tones and actions to fall into slots and hating THAT person while LIKING the next person you havent met yet. Separating and giving everyone an equal new chance is something that takes time to develop. Its extremely easy to become jaded and a person has to fight that. I assume the next person I meet is sweet, decent and honest and i dont change until the slots start filling up. To avoid scams and enjoy Asia, I like the quote from General Mattis (USA): "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." It means, enjoy everything, be a good friend, but dont let the smiles and beaches and palm trees keep you from believing that when you come to Asia, youre in a war.

Cvco, maybe you don't know this because you're not one of these persons. The reason some people never learn is because they don't realize they've been scammed. It's a form of denial. To admit to themselves that they've been scammed creates a humiliation that, to them, is worse than being scammed.

Not everyone is built or wired the same way, you know.  Have you seen the Bette Davis movie Of Human Bondage?  Some people want to be a victim.

Like Trump or Brexit voters.  Suckers all of em! Especially Brexit voters (I am British) who still insist its a great idea. I got why they voted for it, that's  democracy,  but to still defend it is jisust daft.

It is a well known effect in some people. They cant say "I was scammed so I need to be wiser next time"

Here is a scam question that I doubt has ever been asked. Are all scams scams? Can a scam be perfectly honest and not a scam at all? Is it just the way we look at something that we decide a scam is a scam?

Im not trying to be cute or cerebral, they are real questions. I nearly got scammed a few weeks ago but it may have not been a scam at all. There is no westerner alive who would think this wasnt a scam: I sold my car and there was a problem because there was no longer insurance or road tax on it and it had to go for inspection before the sale. How to do that if the car cant legally be on the road? Buyer says, "Ok, i'll call a friend with a tow truck and he can take the car for inspection. We wont come back with the car, we'll take it home and then later we can finish the transfer. If the car fails the test then we'll just leave the car for you to sort out by yourself." And for that, the buyer wouldnt pre-pay the price of the car or even a deposit. Simply take the car and go. I thought it was a scam to relieve me of the car and the next time I see it will be found dumped on the road with its spare parts stripped out, or just wholly missing as a stolen car. I cancelled the sale, insured the car and am driving it again until I decide the next step.

Turns out this may have been totally honest. The law/rule about vehicle transfers is that both buyer and seller have to appear in person at JPJ. Then I bumped into a forum online about transfers and people were doing much crazier things, to me pure scams. One example was a seller who sold his car. The buyer not only paid him nothing, promised to pay in a few months, took the car on the promise to do inspection himself later, and claimed to have a cable within JPJ who would do the transfer without the seller being present. This was agreed and all parties were delighted. Huh?

I continued to read and found even crazier, complex and convoluted stories. All perfectly normal, but to us, scams!

We judge our experiences through the filter of what we know. In Asia, to me scam central, we encounter weirdness and unacceptable events judged not out of reason or logic but because we are prisoners of our perceptions. Within their own circles, Asians conduct normal, honest business in ways that may shock outsiders, ways we dont do and believe to be scams. Does this mean we let the local decide for us and have automatic mutual trust? No, but it means we know a lot less than we thought and cant simply judge based on previous experiences and ideals; it means you can live in a place a long time and not really know it at all, a statement I find scary.

Maybe a scam is a scam and maybe a scam ISNT.