Average Salary and Tax in Bulgaria

Hi,

I got an offer from a Bulgarian company located in Sofia.
I am a software professional. They offered me 80,000 BGN per annum.
   1. Is it good amount to live in Sofia with family?
   2. What is average salary per annum for software professionals there?
   3. What will be the income tax?
   4. What is the living cost there?

Expecting reply soon.

Regards,
ST

Hi ST2512,

Welcome on Expat-blog! :)

I have moved your topic on the Sofia forum for better visibility.

I hope other members will adivse you very soon.

Wish you good luck
Christine

Hello, some answers to your questions although I need to check some details, I am able to provide some info.

1/ depending on your life style, but generally it should be more than enough.

2/ again depends, mainly on what we consider "software professionals". Senior software developers may start at 28000 BGN per annum.

3/ the official one might be around 30% of the income.

4/ again depending on life style, but I consider Sofia as a cheap city compared with other European ones.

Glad if I can help further or you need any other detail.

Cheers.

Hi,

My partner is a senior software developer from the UK (C++, PHP) with many years' experience. We live in the Varna area. He was recently offered a job 24,000 BGN per year (after deductions) so 80,000 is amazing. Just make sure that they give you a contract and - if it is in Bulgarian - get it translated before you sign.

Regarding cost of living - a couple who own their own home can live reasonably comfortably on around 1000 - 1500 BGN per month after deductions. If you want to be able to go out regularly, go away for holidays, etc, you need a bit more. Equally, if you don't buy a property, there will be rent to pay.

If anybody offers you any other jobs at 80K - and you don't want them, pass them our way.:D

Hello ST,
I'm struggling with the same questions as you..

- Per my understanding ~3500 euros a month is a very high salary for a developer. (usually they get 1500-2500 in international companies)

- Income tax per my investigation is 10%

- Is this company offering you some relocation package? can you elaborate more?

- It seems living cost is very cheap, I checked numbeo.com for comparisons, and have visited BG a few times - food and living is quite cheaper than rest of Europe. (don't know in the future...)

- Keep in mind that an average BG salary is ~350 euro.

Good luck, I would love hearing more updates from you.
Sinan.

Hahha..
Just noticed this post was a year ago. (blush)

Income tax in Bulgaria is 10% flat, no such a thing as a minimum non taxable income.

Old post, but all contributed to a topic which others may have thought of...