VND to PHP in Cebu city

So i left Vietnam in a bit of a hurry didn't have all my things in perfect order and spent most of my time in the airport lowering the weight of my bags. I left Ho Chi Minh by the skin of my teeth and was the last passenger to board my plane to Manila. I was offered a decent exchange in Manila but I thought I could and traded abot 6 million dong at the Manila last airport at .0021 php per dong. So I took the 2go ferry to Cebu and started to look for a bank to start an account with and make a better exchange. the answer I've gotten time and time again is a simple no. They won't trade it. Some of the money changers will but they offer very low rates from .0010 to .0018 at the Cebu airport. To put this in perspective in Manila I got 10500 pesos from 5,000,000 dong. About $210. Here in Cebu the best possible rate I can find is 9000 pesos for 5000000 dong. I have about 25 million left and I don't really want to pay $200 to get it exchanged. Does anyone have any advice? I'd love to hear about a bank that makes a fair exchange or anyone traveling to Vietnam who want the dong. Please contact me.

Did you rob a bank in Viet Nam ?

You were lucky to change it at all our of Vietnam, most countries will not buy it.

Yep find some one going to Vietnam and change it with them,  of course some people may be worried it is counterfeit and not want it at all.

Get what every you can from who every you can but don't expect to get what you paid for it.  Each time I leave Vietnam I make sure that I spend all my VND in Vietnam prior to leaving, or simply hang onto it until you go back to Vietnam.

I'm planning on taking a ferry back to Manila tomorrow and going all the way back to the airport. It's mainly out of principle but I'll save me $140 after paying for the ferry. I'll probably end up spending it all along the way but I've decided ***it. I'm not giving my money to the scammers here trying to take advantage of foreigners. Just a note for everyone Cebu airport and every money changer I went to which was over 30 will either not trade it at all or will essentially do a 50/50 split. The airport in Cebu was the best and they only took 25%!!!! I'm literally going to waste 2-3 days of my life to avoid doing business with them.

Sounds harsh.  Sounds like a very quick environment to end up moneylenders in. How do you survive?

seems you ran away from vietnam and looked for shelter in the philippines :D

yea it's true, you're lucky if they want to exchange VND to PHP. cause our currencies are not too worthy to be exchanged. unlike SGD or HKD. but 25 million VND? it's only roughly 50-55k PHP. if you dont want to go back to vietnam, better look for a job real soon

@Evgod where did you change your VND In Cebu can you send me the address & the bank or money changer names ,thanks

@Evgod where did you change you VND in Cebu can you send me the bank name or money changer I have small amount of Vietnam Dong here ,thanks

Hello allan73phil,

Welcome to Expat.com 1f60a.svg

As you may have noticed, this thread is old and has been inactive since 2017.

The best way to get details on your query will be to start a new thread on the Cebu forum.

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

Closed