Permanent resident leaving Mexico

When you signed for your permanent residency card, you sayed that you will comply with the immigration law and rules. Such articles, quote that you will reside fulltime in Mexico and the immigration authorities can cancel this right if they think you have left Mexico indifenitly.

Since as permanent resident, you can enter or leave Mexico as often as you want, my question is the following:

What is the longest period a permanent resident can leave Mexico and that he will not be questionned by INM at the point of entry when he retourne (6 months, 1-2-3 years).

Gracias para la informacíon, GyC.

mexicogc wrote:

When you signed for your permanent residency card, you sayed that you will comply with the immigration law and rules. Such articles, quote that you will reside fulltime in Mexico and the immigration authorities can cancel this right if they think you have left Mexico indifenitly.

Since as permanent resident, you can enter or leave Mexico as often as you want, my question is the following:

What is the longest period a permanent resident can leave Mexico and that he will not be questionned by INM at the point of entry when he retourne (6 months, 1-2-3 years).

Gracias para la informacíon, GyC.

Given that they just re tweaked their immigration rules as of June  of this year, to be safe I would ask  an INM office directly. As I recall it was more like 3 months before they start to wonder about you. I looked at their site and saw a lot information , but nothing that directly addressed that question.

So better safe than sorry. As you said you can come and go as you please, but I would ask that question just incase. Let us know what INM says.

The INM didn´t change any immigration laws or rules in June.

The SEGOB  INM website [Mexican Immigration] has the list of reasons your Residente Permanente visa/card can be cancelled. They are: Immigrating to another country, moving out of Mexico permanently, and ? -  I forgot but I can look it up. 3 months means nothing. 3 years means nothing, I suggest you ignore that false info. here or at least have them post an official SEGOB  INM webpage with the so called information.

Hi, to get the proper answer, I just sent an e-mail to the INM state office of Nayarit on the subject.

My research gave me the latest reform as:

Ley de migración (21-04-2016)
Reglamento de la ley de migración (23-05-2014)

Let you know about the reply from INM.

Adios y buen dia a todos, GyC.

I didn't get June 2017 out of thin air https://yucalandia.com/2017/06/13/june- … -policies/ One of 3 sources.

But my main message was it is always wise to go to the source. Things do change, that's why it took me three weeks to get a refund from Mexico CD. They had a new system and a new computer program. If you had a car you would need to activate a new sticker on your windshield, that happened in the last 3 months and everyone was scrambling to get that done.

I recommended he check with the source INM, do you see that as bad advice  alleycat? If so why would you think that ?

Hi to all, well got a reply to my email on the subject...like "travellight" said to avoid any surprises when leaving the Mexican territory contact the authorities and ask them your questions. Based on the reply, I will probably go to INM in January and ask the questions.

Extract from the email received and sent:

Email received
From Maria Isabel Castillo Luna

Srs. G... C... y C... M...

Para estar en posibilidad de atender a su cuestionamiento, los invitamos a acercarse de manera personal a la oficina del INM más cercana a su domicilio, en horario de atención a usuarios de lunes a viernes, de 9 a 13 horas, o bien a visitar su sitito web www.gob.mx/inm

Saludos cordiales.

De: Valles López, José Luis
Enviado el: sábado, 2 de diciembre de 2017 08:35 p. m.
Para: Castillo Luna, Maria Isabel
Asunto: Fwd: Tiempo a fuera de Mexico

EMAIL SENT
De: C... G...
Fecha: 2 de diciembre de 2017, 08:45:27 GMT-6
Para: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Asunto: Tiempo a fuera de Mexico

Buenos dias señor, mi esposa y yo somos residentes permanentes desde el 11 de septiembre 2017 y vivimos todo el año en La Peñita de Jaltemba.

Esta semana, habiá una extrajera de Canada quien tiene su carta de residencia permanente como nosotros pero ella regresa cada primavera a Canada para 6 o 7 meses. Tambien, ella quiere salir de Mexico durante 1 o 2 años y regresar despues, en 2018 o 2019.

Queremos saber si hay reglas sobre el tiempo de estancia en Mexico para mantener su permiso/tarjeta de residencia permanente.
Personalmente, iramos a visitar nuestros familias durante 1 a 2 meses cada año durante verano.

Mi lectura de la ley (reforma 21-04-2016) y reglamento (reforma 23-05-2014) sobre la migración no me permití de saber exactemente la respuesta a mi pregunta.

Gracias para ayudarnos a estar mejores residentes permanentes.

G... C... y C... M...

So my conclusion: better be safe than sorry.

Buenos dias a todos, GyC.

Hi mexicogc,

Thanks for reporting to us. As they would say here   Ja,Ja, Ja solo tienes que recordar que es México.

With the car tags, then window stickers they said everyone had to have them, and they gave a very short time frame to do it in, That wasn't too bad with the tags, but for the new window stickers ( which is a new idea) it resulted in hundreds of people lining up and waiting. After an hour or two they decided that didn't work, so they had people make appointments. Mine is for after January so I will have to move on it soon.

That brings up another point, it is always best to have something in writing to show the officials.

The law states you must live in Mexico 6 months of the year when you are a permanent resident. I am a permanent resident and have live in Mexico since ‘94

karyngutz wrote:

The law states you must live in Mexico 6 months of the year when you are a permanent resident. I am a permanent resident and have live in Mexico since ‘94

Hi "karingutz", it would be good if you have a specific article of the law you quote because I never found anything it the actual INM law and regulations stating "6 months".

One thing sure now is that when traveling by air the INM officer scan your passport, Mexican resident card and the FMM stub when coming back to Mexico.

Adios y buen dia a todos, GyC.

Hi mexicogc

I haven't seen anything like that either. Perhaps there is confusion with the visitor visa where the maximum visit time is 180 days or 6 months. Using the same form for two different purposes could do that.

I have talked with the INM reps in Merida and Mexico and heard nothing like that. It seems that the altered visitor visa the permanent residents have to make out is a statistical tool. From the behavior of the airline, I would say it's their tool. It is not a special form just a visitor form you have to alter so you can get back into the country.
Last time I flew the stewardess snapped up the top half saying ' that would be mine"

When returning the officer on the Mexico end just looked at my RP card, the passport, and the remainder of the visa and waved me on. The onus is on us to protect the form in order to not mess up our RP status. That would explain why it is only a problem when you fly. The IMN agent in Merida just smiled at me and said be sure to write residente Permanente at the top and the bottom of both sides of that visitor visa.
Perhaps a nod ,nod wink, wink implied.  ;)