Christmas at the beach?

How do you, Northern Hemisphere people, like Christmas at the beach?
We spent three Christmas in Brazil, and my wife hated it.  She said there was no way to get into the Christmas spirit while sweating with the heat.
It didn't bother me much, but I do enjoy white Christmas a lot.  Beyond that, I can do without the cold weather.

I hate cold weather, period. That whole "white Christmas" nonsense doesn't appeal to me in the least. I grew up in the mountains of North Carolina and saw all the snow and ice I ever care to see. Give me a white sand Christmas any day.

I prefer hot weather and beach Christmas here in Brazil. I grew up in Pennsylvania and saw enough ice and snow too. America is nice to visit in July. I do miss snow skiing though, 2-3 days is enough.

Being a California weather spoiled beach guy, I´m still looking for extreme temperature punishments.

White Christmas would be like Aspen for me or Norway to see the northern lights.
Brazil is hot and humid but I´d rather be in Kenya heat to sing Christmas songs and hug an elephant or a cobra because danger is good once in a while! I´m loving this thread!

robal

Well, my last white Christmas was in Houston.  December 24th, 2004, I was driving back home from Corpus Christy, around 9 PM, rushing to get home for Christmas eve when, for the first time in 40 years, the snow started falling.  I was pretty pissed as I wasn't, nor was anyone, prepared for that.  Had to slow down and was late for Christmas Eve. 
The next morning the kids wanted to go play in the snow, which was pretty much gone, and we drove around looking for some decent patch.  Found one in a parking lot somewhere and they immediately went on "snow angel" position.  A bit embarrassing but, hey, they were happy.

Where I´ve seen snow in Brazil was in Campos do Jordão, São Paulo; São Joaquim, Santa Catarina and the one very close to me which is Gramado, Rio Grande do Sul.

I´ve been last weekend at Gramado. It was cold but no snow YET! Who knows, it might snow this year. I did enjoy the German/Swiss like buildings, the fondue and Italian food and of course the meaty Gaucho "espeito corrido" dinner and a good wine from Chile! Tourists everywhere. There were even people from the state of Amazonas. And all the festive Christmas lights are on everywhere from shops, buildings and boulevards extending to the it´s twin city of Canela. It appears to have beaten Las Vegas
with all those blinking lights. It´s just everywhere!

I go there 2 times a month to have lunch or dinner since it´s so close.

Speaking of beaches, the best beaches in the southern region where I live are all in Santa Catarina.

robal

You mean there could be snow now, that we are almost at the start of Summer?

I was thinking of snow in June Ron! It´s still cold in Gramado at this time of the year though, because we´re at the end (tip) of Brazil and Gramado is elevated, up in the mountains! Nights at this time is pleasantly cold like champagne if you´ll let me indulge a little!

robal

Well, I know it happens though.  My sister used to live in Lake Tahoe and there was at least one instance of snow fall in June that I remember.
In 1990 I went out with my girlfriend (now my wife) to visit the vista point at the Copper Canyon in Mexico.  It was June 9th and we took an early train there.  Beautiful day, warm and sunny. 
Around 3 PM we noticed dark clouds approaching and decided to take the first train back, one called "the chicken coop".  About one hour into the trip it started snowing and we, dressed in shorts/t-shirts, were freezing all the way back.  Not fun at all.