NHS treatment after moving?

I wonder if you know if expats can still get NHS treatment after moving? I know it would be a pain to fly over but with cheaper flights, it may be cost-effective?

I am resident in Spain where I get health cover as a result of an S1 from DWP.   That means get  ‘free treatment' as  DWP pay around £3,000 p.a. for my cover.

I know if I go to UK and require unforeseen ‘emergency' treatment, that is not planned treatment for an existing condition, I am covered.

It is I believe the same cover as a person visiting Spain on an EHIC.

This is a question that in reality cannot be fully answered. The UK can have as many rules and regulations as it likes, but they are only ink on paper when it comes to enforcing them. The UK NHS or better known as the WHS (World Heath Service) treats anyone from anywhere no questions asked.

Who's to say you reside in Spain today but tomorrow you reside in the UK. :D

There is more than a Tad (or should that be Tadd) difference between the NHS treating people who have an emergency situation,  whilst not treating people who require a routine or non-emergency procedure.

Even in Spain, if a person presents with an emergency situation they are treated and the question of the paperwork,  and who might have to pay,  is a secondary consideration.   

I have experienced that when I have taken my granddaughter and on another occasion my son to urgencia services in Spain.

Brit State pensioners residing in Spain and in receipt of an S1 are entitled to full NHS treatment in UK.

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : troll

The UK is tightening things a lot these days, even Brits that have lived overseas and returned to have treatment are now being charged. Please don't believe the far right politicians, they are talking rubbish.

Non-pensioners will be charged on return until they re-establish residency in UK. Pensioners are entitled to treatment.