Getting a driving license in Mexico

Hello,
I would like to ask how complicated it is for a german foreigner to get a mexican driver license. I don't have a german driver license but I need to be mobile when moving to Mexico.

Thorstenk wrote:

Hello,
I would like to ask how complicated it is for a german foreigner to get a mexican driver license. I don't have a german driver license but I need to be mobile when moving to Mexico.

That's an interesting question. I believe you would need some sort of license to drive period, to rent a car and to satisfy the police. If I were you I would get a license in my country. With a license you can drive in Mexico without a Mexican license.

I didn't bother to get a Mexican license until I was a permanent resident. I just drove on my U.S. license.

As for getting a license in Mexico it is pretty simple, fill out the paperwork answer the questions about health , have an eye test perhaps. This goes quickly if they see you already have a license.

Thanks for the feedback. The problem is that I will not have the option to get a license in Germany due to the fact that I am living currently in China and would have to go directly from China to Mexico. So there ist still the question if there is theoretically the chance to get a mexican licence.

Yes, you can but first you must have your residency status (temporary or permanent) with your CURP, your CFE bill were you live in Mexico with your rental agreement in spanish.

We will have to pass a written exam but I don't think a driving test, your first licence would be valid for 1 year and then renewed for 3 years (if you intend to drive a pickup truck, you have to request the "chofer" licence not  "automobilista", this informacíon is related to the state of Nayarit. It could vary in other states within Mexico.

Adios, GyC.

Okay Theorstenk,

So this is what I found, I have never known someone with no license at all, over 15 that is , but here is the information you need.

"Drivers need to demonstrate residence in a state in order to acquire that state's licence. All states recognise each other's licence. Mexican citizens and legal residents can only acquire a proper driving licence once they have turned 18, with the typical validity of a licence being 3 years."

Valid Passport
Visa proving your legal status in Mexico

*Birth certificate  ( not sure you would need that I didn't, but different states may have different rules, these are from Merida Yucatan) The passport should be enough.

Proof of address: A recent bill for your water (JAPAY), electricity (CFE), phone (Telmex or Telcel or your phone company), property tax (known as a predial) or a bank statement in your name and not older than 90 days.
Costs to obtain a driver's license are:

Car license: $337.00 MXN

Hi again, the following link is in regards to a new driver's licence request in Yucatan http://www.yucatan.gob.mx/servicios/ver … php?id=127 dated february 2017.

For Nayarit, link http://tramites.nayarit.gob.mx/tram/mod … ramite=305

All states have there brûlés Google "licencia de conducir nueva..." followed by the state you want.

Adios, GyC.

do i need a lisence to drive as scooter? I will be keeping my us lisence

I'm told by a local that you do not, Which explains some of the creative scooter driving, Either way your U.S. license should cover you.

Great!!

With the "policia vial" being implemented over Mexico, you must have a plated scooter but can you get a scooter plated if you don't have a Mexican driver's licence and a resident address, you must have an helmet, also must have insurance (once again can you have Mexican insurance if you don't reside in Mexico?).

But I am not an expert.

Adios y buen dia a todos, GyC.

mexicogc wrote:

With the "policia vial" being implemented over Mexico, you must have a plated scooter but can you get a scooter plated if you don't have a Mexican driver's licence and a resident address, you must have an helmet, also must have insurance (once again can you have Mexican insurance if you don't reside in Mexico?).

But I am not an expert.

Adios y buen dia a todos, GyC.

We don't know if the scooter in question is being bought, or obtained as a rental. A license from the U.S. should be acceptable either way.
Before I bought a new car my drivers license from the states was all I needed to drive, I drove with my U.S. license only, for two years. Drivers licenses in Mexico are totally different than the U.S. Mexico and the U.S. have an agreement about the acceptance of the U.S. license as a valid license in Mexico

Each state has their rules, so When in doubt ask the scooter dealer or the local dept. of licensing, That would be the last word in your area.