Oil and gas field job

I am currently an instructor at a college in Canada teaching in the Oil and gas field.  I will be going to Vietnam in mid Feb for 6 months on Parental living, before the birth of my child. I have tried to search online for Instrumentation job in Vietnam but are facing dead end.  I was hoping someone here might able to guide me to find job in the oil and gas.  Thank you.

The oil and gas industry here has downsized a lot over the last 3 years. You will find it difficult to find any work here, but still check various online employment sites.

What Colinoscapee said is correct, the O&G industry here is very quiet for expats at this time, however, there are ongoing projects which are joint ventures that have various expats onboard. I see in your post that you are into instrumentation, there are many O&G locals that are well trained in most major skills sets within the O&G industry and Instrumentation and Control system Engineers are one of those skills.

Anyway good luck with you search, maybe one of the training schools in Vung Tau (Which is the hub for O&G) maybe a place to start

Deepsix6 wrote:

... there are many O&G locals that are well trained in most major skills sets within the O&G industry ...

This seems to confirm my supposition that expats will eventually work their way out of the job.  Presumably expat oilfield jobs have been available since 1986, 30 years ago, when đổi mới opened things up.  The Vietnamese have been developing the same skills since then.  Eventually, even Englsih teachers will be rare, although it is a longer timeline as it involves the general public rather than a relatively small cadre of highly trained individuals.

THIGV,

Over the last few years the O&G service companies in particular here have been training Vietnamese in various disciplines and technical skills in order to phase out the hiring of skilled and qualified workers from overseas, I am working in Iraq at the moment and I am mentoring 2 Iraqis working alongside me whom will eventually take over my role...

You only have to look on LinkedIn job section for work in Vietnam, most positions are asking for 'Vietnamese only' so yes you are correct that expats will and are slowly being replaced by nationals...