Living in Ghent but working in Terneuzen (NL)

hi All
i will be starting in my new job in Terneuzen in the Netherlands next year Feb 2018,
BUT i would like to live in Ghent which is about 45 min/1Hour communte to my office in the Netherlands.
I would like to understand from a social security/tax perspective how it all works, so far HR has explained to me that my wages and tax will be paid in the NL, my health insurance will be paid to a Dutch provider and i need to have a registered social number in the Netherlands.
Technically thou i will live in Ghent and I know that I need to register in the "commune" and with that some social benefits comes with that. But i will not be paying social security in Belgium...
Anybody out there that has the same situation? I would like to understand how it all works.

Few years ago I live in Brussels only for 6 months I was an Irish employee working temporarily in the Brussels office. In that case my company had to pay a "tax" difference because of my posted worker status.
I do not think this is the same but I would like to understand the exact tax implication
if Anyone knows or has the same situation I would love to understand the tax technicalities!

thanks

Hi Patricia,
I am also considering a job in Terneuzen and as it seems to be a relatively small and industrial town ( I assume polluted air also) I am thinking of settling somewhere else ( Gent, Bruges or Antwerpen or a village on the way from Terneuzen to them).
Would you share you first impressions please?

hi there
apologies for the delay
yes i was in Terneuzen for the interview, it is not polluted or ugly at all the issue is that it is REALLY tiny and lifeless. When i was there they put me up in a lovely town called Middelburg which is gorgeous (maybe 30,000 people medieval town) which is about 30 minutes by car from the office, you will have plenty of parking in the office and it is not so busy traffic wise from what i noticed...
Not sure if you are interested to check it out? Middelburg has a well served train station but no good public transport to Terneuzen itself hence why you would need the car to get to work

Personally it was too small for me so when i did some research i had decided  to live in Ghent which is lively, relatively cheap rent wise and then commute every day to Terneuzen, i calculated about 1 hour.

Please let me know if this helps in any way......

You will also be declaring your taxes in Belgium. Your Dutch income might be exonerated of national tax, might be subjected to more Belgian national tax and will most certainly be subject to regional/municipal tax - basically local income tax.

I'd be asking someone with more knowledge. I'am also a cross border worker, though not the same border but living in Belgium.

Hello Patrizia,
Thank you very much for your reply.
I was quite worried that the place will be very much polluted due to industry and the port activities and not sure whether air and climate is good. I guess that it should be windy and humidity would be quite high.
How do you find life in Ghent then?
Is it a safe place?
There seem to be also some villages on the way between Ghent and Teneuzen. They might be a better choice?
If moving I am planning later on to bring my wife and children ( 4 and 3 at the moment) there. And I would need also kindergarten / school, good medical care nearby. Ghent for sure would have that but I am not sure I would get it in Terneuzen

Hi girls,

I'm starting working here in Terneuzen, but the rent in this city seems sooo high :(

how did you manage your accomodation, are you living here in Terneuzen or Gent?

Thank youu

Jessica

Hi again
sorry for the huge delay sometimes i do not check this site.
Ghent is beautiful child friendly, well connected to brussels and main trains. but it might be expensive
I personally love the town. Hence why i am living here. I guess it depends what you want from the place you live. Terneuzen seems a pretty sleepy town, not much shopping, bars, very little life
I wanted to live in Ghent as it is a popular tourist destination, it has all prices for accomodation. it is well connected transport wise, charming and has lots to offer socially.
BUT if you do work in Terneuzen you have to commute by car, getting there via public transport is a bit of a long nightmare.
so regarding places near Terneuzen in the netherlands i was told that Goes could be a good option as it is bigger, well connected and reachable via transport in about 1 hour 20 minutes via public transport or 30 minutes by car. I really like the town of Rosendal further up it looked beautiful but not long commute. when i was there for the job interview i stayed in Middleburg, gorgeous mediaval town about 20 minutes by car from Terneuzen, looked lively and very pretty. I hope all this helps?

Hi Jessica
i personally did not want to live in Terneuzen so with my wage budget i could afford Ghent.
did you thin of sharing a flat with someone? not sure what is your overall situation...are you working for Dow?

regards
patrizia

Thank you so much  :)

Hello,
I have been reading through this line of conversation. I have also been offered a position in Terneuzen and I would love to know on average how much could an appartment cost, and all around cost of living.
Also if you happen to know which city is the best to live in appart from Terneuzen, such as Ghent, Antwerp, etc; and how much of your monthly salary goes to cover taxes and health insurance.
Thank you very much.

Welcome to the forum Paolaml

For living costs try www.numbeo.com
Check out the housing section, top of the page, for rental costs.
Also check out the Belgium Guide found in Discover at the top of the page for other information.

Hi all

I'm considering an offer in Terneuzen. I saw your conversation and I think maybe you can help me!
Has someone lived or still live there in Terneuzen? How is your impression about the region? Some advise that could be useful for someone new?

Thank you!! Silvia

Srua wrote:

Hi all

I'm considering an offer in Terneuzen. I saw your conversation and I think maybe you can help me!
Has someone lived or still live there in Terneuzen? How is your impression about the region? Some advise that could be useful for someone new?

Thank you!! Silvia

Welcome Silvia,

This discussion is inactive since 2 years. It's better to open a new one.

For the rest, have a look on other previous posts.