Thinking of moving

We are in US and we are thinking of moving to Bahrain, what is the cost of living for two/three bedroom and two bath apartment, not looking for very upscale, but a reasonable one.  what about Car, do we have to buy in cash or do we get on installments?  It would be hard to comeup with so much cash to buy a car.  Moving from US, I am told the culture is completely different, rude and pace of life is slow as compared to US.  We have a two yr old too, are there good schools in the area.

Hi and welcome on the forum american_monk!

I hope other members will be able to tell you about life in Bahrain soon ;)

Regards
Armand

I don't know the answer to your questions but with such a negative attitude towards Bahrain maybe  a re think on where you would like to relocate to might be needed

Hi American Monk,

I suggest you to read the previous posts, detailed answers to most of your questions are there. Then if you have any more precise question go for it.
Here is a long thread with a lot of information https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=50774

"I am told the culture is completely different, rude and pace of life is slow as compared to US"
Well hard for me to talk about American culture, but Bahraini one is everything but "rude".
Just a few reminders:
- Bahrain is the only couentry in the Gulf where the freedom of worship is a reality. There is a church and even a little synagogue. During the demonstrations in Feb, two youngsters tagged the Sacred heart church's wall. When their Immam told them it was a church, they came the next day to see the priest and they apologized and offered to redo the painting of the wall.
- People are extremely respectfull, they have a very traditional culture, but are much less judgemental than a lot of westerns I happen to know.
- They are very open minded people. With most of them, once you get to know them a little, you can almost talk about everything.
- Most of the Bahrainis have a great sense of humour ! And they know how to make fun of themselves which is to me a sign of great intelligence.

I really think that if you come with no preconceived idea, you will find it just fine... Maybe things are a little bit slower than the US, I don't know... But I am also told that in all the part of your huge country, all the people aren't walking at the same rythm are they ?

Hope to see you soon in Bahrain...
If you have any other questions feel free...

Olivier

Thanks for your replies;  I didnt mean to offend anyone by writing that people are 'rude';  it is something I read on these forums; and wanted to see how do you guys see it as you see it everyday.  I am just trying to see what is a good salary in Bahrain;  means 1500 to 2000 bd is it reasonable salary?  How much is the doctors visit?  and hospital visits?  Does the visitor gets covered?  In US they do sell visitor insurance, but some people i know bought this insurance are not able to get their claimfilled..it is more of fraudulent insurance here than anything.  What are the family activities in Bahrain?  How much does the daycare cost for two yr old.  If i am on workpermit, could my spouse work on that too?

don't know about your salary, it depends on your way of lifestyle but for an Indian it is too much. he can live lavishly with that salary.

about health care, bahrain is one of the fews countries that provide free health care. you just need to pay BD3(>10$) to visit the doctor and then the medicines and tests will be free of charge. This applies in government hospitals. I never had to pay any extra charges even my mothers operation was free of charge! But for private hospitals it is a different story. its BD5 for each visit and they charge for all other services and medicines.

daycare will cost around 30BD(80$) for a month. don't know about professional daycare centers or like that. Indian usually charge this amount.

If you are on work permit you are allowed to work not your spouse. She most probably be having a family visa which does not allow her to work. She will need a work visa like you. I don't know much about the visa thing because i'm only 18 and i'm on student visa. Asking your company might be good or i hope someone else helps you in this forum.