Best vpn to get Hulu and US Netflix?

Howdy,  I'm in Mexico near Puerto Vallarta for the next few months and want to get vpn for US Netflix and Hulu but don't know which vpn service to get.  Does anyone know which vpn most people are using to do this?  Much appreciate your help

Just an FYI, I use a vpn in the US for KODI and Netflix and Hulu will not work when it's turned on.  Not sure if that'd be different in Mexico.

Netflix and Hulu block vpns.

I use  Unlocator  VPN and have no trouble with Netflix and US TV like CNN and NBC.  It is also really inexpensive!

Hulu finally figured out that people were using VPNs and started blocking them some years ago.  It seems like the "hola" extension for some browsers (including Chrome) used to work with Hulu, but they may be blocking that now as well.  It is worth a try, as it is free and a simple browser add-on.  Check out hola.org for more information.

We use Smart DNS Proxy, working fine for us:) ! We do not have Hulu, however, just Netflix and Amazon, so not sure if it will work with Hulu.

I read using a Smart DNS is a better way.

They will do their best to cut you off has been my experience. Unlock worked for awhile then wouldn't . VPN flat out says it won't work outside Canada and the U.S. So I don't use it. Hulu never worked here. Chrome T.V. plug in worked very well then it didn't. Currently I have Amazon fire, but haven't hooked it up yet. Netflix works on my computer with the cable system I use so that's what I have used the last two years. No hoops to jump through.

Fire may work because I was able to buy it here , which will be nice, because then I can get prime and some other things. I have had  6 years to figure out they all work well briefly, then you figure out some other plan. If you don't draw too much attention, your system will possible work longer. Like packages they ship for awhile then decide they don't ship to Mexico anylonger.

I was planning to use my Fire Stick also.  I read on Amazon's site that you have to do some changes to your Amazon prime account settings and use a Smart DNS or VPN.  But they claim it will work in Mexico.

jamesr3939 wrote:

I was planning to use my Fire Stick also.  I read on Amazon's site that you have to do some changes to your Amazon prime account settings and use a Smart DNS or VPN.  But they claim it will work in Mexico.

good to know. We will see, i will be talking to the cable folks to renew pretty soon anyway so i will ask them when i have time. Time is a big issue here.

Gracias, I found a free 14 day trial (no cc) on SmartDNSproxy so gving it a shot.  It's working for Netflix US and Hulu so far but haven't used it much.  Too busy experiencing Mexico to watch tv.  Of course they want a long-term contract after the trial period, only $2/mth,  The question is, how long will it continue to work after entering the contract.  Has anyone had long term experience with Smartdnsproxy?

Hi, I'm new to Expat.com and this is my first post.  If I lived near Lake Chapala, would I be able to get DirecTv Now?  I like live sports and news.  $35/month for 60 channels seems like a pretty good deal.

travellight wrote:

They will do their best to cut you off has been my experience. Unlock worked for awhile then wouldn't . VPN flat out says it won't work outside Canada and the U.S. So I don't use it. Hulu never worked here. Chrome T.V. plug in worked very well then it didn't. Currently I have Amazon fire, but haven't hooked it up yet. Netflix works on my computer with the cable system I use so that's what I have used the last two years. No hoops to jump through.

Fire may work because I was able to buy it here , which will be nice, because then I can get prime and some other things. I have had  6 years to figure out they all work well briefly, then you figure out some other plan. If you don't draw too much attention, your system will possible work longer. Like packages they ship for awhile then decide they don't ship to Mexico anylonger.

If I have half the spunk, love for life and learning,  and lucidity you have when I'm your age I will count myself very lucky! You are an inspiration ☺ Keep it up ❤

The fire stick is a yes and a no, some of the things I really wanted were   " sorry not available in your area" so back to netflix for the most part, will keep trying things.

Well, If you are travel and are an avid streamer then you gotta invest into a paid VPN, cannot name a legit VPN service, but as of my knowledge, you would have to opt for a VPN service that has fast servers that an optimal for streaming. also, the service should have military level encryption and kill switch feature so that there is no way your real location leaks, so there should be no DNS leaks involved, I would suggest to do research, or go to this site and opt for a VPN service that suits your need and is affordable.

[link moderated]

You don't need a VPN, Rabbit or any torrent.  Rabbit won't let you download and save unless your OP is Linux, but torrent will.  I have about 6000 films and documentaries on a few external hard drives., didn't cost a penny.

Rabbit is amazing.  I get 3-500 megas download speed.  It's kiinda like a facebook thing where you invite you friends (other members) to watch movies/shows together, then chat about them.  Or you can just watch them all by yourself.  Netflix is one of many offerings.

IPtorrents is the best movie site but you'll need a membership invite.  I have 3 left if you want one.

I was shopping Amazon yesterday for a second Fire TV and I noticed they are now marketing an International Fire TV where you designate the country where you will be using it.  There is a disclaimer that not all content might be available in all locations.  But, it might be worth a try and then go with a VPN or Smart DNS.  I found some good information on both in PC Magazine reviews.  I'm no computer geek, but it seemed the Smart DNS was highly recommended over the VPN.   

I also noticed Amazon is now selling a TV with Fire built in and it interfaces with Alexa.  In fact it's bundled with a Dot.  So you can tell Alexa to turn your TV on/off, change channels, and load apps.  Pretty cool and it wasn't all that expensive.  That just might be my next TV.

I guess this is what happens when you are the world's richest person.

jamesr3939 wrote:

I was shopping Amazon yesterday for a second Fire TV and I noticed they are now marketing an International Fire TV where you designate the country where you will be using it.  There is a disclaimer that not all content might be available in all locations.  But, it might be worth a try and then go with a VPN or Smart DNS.  I found some good information on both in PC Magazine reviews.  I'm no computer geek, but it seemed the Smart DNS was highly recommended over the VPN.   

I also noticed Amazon is now selling a TV with Fire built in and it interfaces with Alexa.  In fact it's bundled with a Dot.  So you can tell Alexa to turn your TV on/off, change channels, and load apps.  Pretty cool and it wasn't all that expensive.  That just might be my next TV.

I guess this is what happens when you are the world's richest person.

On the VPN vs, SmartDNS issue they are both worth while for different purposes. VPN is useful when you are browsing or doing online business transactions to secure your data. It provides secure incription to protect data from being intercepted by intruders or others on your network. We use VPN for all of our online banking and business activities.

SmartDNS has worked for streMing Netflix, Pandora, Hulu and other services that geo-block. We are able to stream content from the US using SnartDNS that is normally blocked in Mexico. We've set our router up to use smart DNS and we have very few geo-blocking issues since doing so.

Good to know, I was leaning toward the Smart DNS route once we move full time as I found it to be a little cheaper than VPN.  Reviews pretty much support what you are saying.  It's  suppose to be faster and there are servers in San Diego I can use from Rosarito.     

How secure is the Smart DNS for on line banking and CC use?  I hadn't really researched that part as I was only looking for streaming video.

The DNS service does not provide security, though SmartDNS does offer a VPN service for its subscribers I believe.

In the USA currently so can't truly evaluate utility in Mexico. Happy with VirtualShield VPN. One can go through 12 different nations with eight different cities offered in the USA.
It does seem a few web sites do not like VPNs in prospective customers. One turned me away yesterday calling me a spammer. A pretty shocking experience to say the least. So now I am here! A VPN would make it harder to track a user which is much of the idea behind employing a VPN. Tracking users almost seems to have become the Great American Past Time. A few of the more infamous:
Amazon
Face Book
Google/You Tube
AT&T
Verizon
Microsoft
Rest assured there are legions of others. If a web site has a significant user base, Big Brother has likely "come calling" with a briefcase full of "inducements".

I have never had a problem with Netflix in Mexico without a VPN. Hulu has been an issue in many areas including in the U.S. so I don't bother with it. The main problem I have is bandwidth to run consistently on a T.V., So I mostly use my laptop.

Do a thorough research. See you will see a ton of VPN providers which will be attracting you with some of the fanciest deals and cheap rates and good services. But, that is the point where you have to be careful.

Most of the VPN providers apparently offer you low rates but they have plenty of flaws like DNS leaks and IP leaks and VPNs without Kill Switch or Speed Crops etc. That is why it said to read the VPNs Privacy Policy at first.

I know that reading a privacy policy is a bit boring  :huh: . BUT, it is must to read VPN's Privacy policy especially. Kz a trusted, whether if it is even a cheap VPN will always mention about ZERO LOGS POLICY in the description, which means the VPN will never keep logs of your VPN connection establishment, or on which websites you are browsing or any history or any transaction. If these pointers are mentioned, then you are good to buy.
With the help of these trusted and budget-friendly VPNs you can easily unblock or access geo-restricted content and play VOD streaming websites like Netflix, Hulu and many more.

So, be careful before Buying a VPN.

Wachee VPN is good; it's a chrome extension. I've been using it for 4 months and there has been no errors for Netflix. Definitely recommend.

My most recent experience in January using a SmartDNS app on my Amazon FireStick worked pretty good.  I was able to stream Netflix, Prime, and Hulu.  We were in a condo at Rosarito.  I preloaded everything on one of my FireSticks so I knew it worked in CA.  We cut the cable and are only using Hulu for TV at home running on a FireStick or Alexa cube.  The only thing that was a glitch is the Hulu Live TV.  It would run for anywhere from 20-30 minutes then GeoBlock.  Also, you never knew from what part of the USA the Live shows would be coming from.  I assume because it's hitting different servers.

try veepn. I use this VPN because it supports connecting up to 10 devices at the same time. I need it because I have a lot of smartphones and so it helps me a lot. There is also good speed and safety. We all know how a VPN works.

The DNS I'm using can be installed on any device by just downloading the app or it can be installed directly to your router so anybody longing on to your WiFi will be using it.  No restriction on number of devices.   Plus it's cheaper than any VPN I looked at.