Companies' S-pass quota for foreign IT talents

Hi there.

Patreek here.

I have worked in Singapore for about 4 years, 2011 -2015 in IT sector.   :D

I went back home after my contract ended and worked locally here in our country up to the present, still in IT.

I just want to know, if companies in Singapore still has S-pass  quota for IT foreigners?

Would also like to know if the job atmosphere for IT foreigners is  now "favorable"?  :D

I have been passing online job applications thru Jobstreet, Jobsdb, ST Jobs, Jobs Central, etc. , but I am not so lucky, I guess.

It was one time last year that a company replied to me and applied me for an S-Pass, but my pass got rejected.

The company re-appealed for my pass, but was not successful.   :(

I also got  email replies for shortlisting, but only that. Still no confirmation after that.

Also received numbers of overseas call from some Singapore headhunters, but still for shortlisting, after that they don't call anymore.

I visited MOM's Self Assessment Test (SAT) and it shows that I am qualified for an S-Pass, but still wondering why my tons of online applications still go unanswered.

I am planning to go back in Singapore anytime this 2018, and give it another try.

Do Singapore companies prefer foreign applicants  who are in Singapore than those overseas? I'm wondering.  :unsure

Thanks a lot for any tips you guys can provide me, so that my job application this time will be successful when I go back.   :cheers:

Thanks. And god bless.   :top:

Patreek

You have been working more than 7 to 8yrs now, with that experiences if SAT is showing you are only eligible to get S pass, that means either offering salary is too Low or you don't have recognised degree. Either of one is not a positive case. There is no special S pass quota in IT sector as such. It's an individual employer's quota and available mostly in service industry (largely in customer service and export industry). Most of employers are looking local talents at initial stage, if they didn't get right candidates through local job bank then they look for foreigners. Job market is tight as most of IT delivery jobs and middle office & back office jobs in Finance sector are going out slowly but steadily. There is nothing wrong to give a try. Good luck

Thanks Surya for the reply and for the clarification about S-pass quota.

I got a recognized degree in engineering and my university is also recognized.

The only thing is that, my last salary in Singapore is only in the range of 2,600, and that is my input for the SAT.

Right now, I am trying to apply for more senior role, and I hope for the best.

:D

$2500 is way below to market standards. With 7 to 8 yrs experiences and a recognised degree, the minimum salary should be $4500 to $5000 irrespective of scope in IT sector. You should get an EP not a S pass. You can check whether the university where you studied is in their list. If yes then it's recognised by MoM. Good luck

Hi Surya,

Its in the MOM list, so with my degree.

Thanks for the generous reply.

Lots of prayers.   :top:

patreek wrote:

I just want to know, if companies in Singapore still has S-pass  quota for IT foreigners?

Some do, some don't. That's why your question cannot be answered.
But, as Surya said, you should get an EP (at minimum S$5000/month pay), for which there are no quota (but strict and unpublished criteria on who can hoire for what function - and the employer must show that there are no suitably skilled locals for the job).

patreek wrote:

Would also like to know if the job atmosphere for IT foreigners is  now "favorable"?  :D

There is a strict "locals preferred" policy since a few years ago, so finding jobs is more difficult for foreigners. Basically, you are only welcome if you have niche skills or experience that is needed but not locally available here. You should thus focus on such skills you might have and apply for jobs or employers that need them.

patreek wrote:

Do Singapore companies prefer foreign applicants  who are in Singapore than those overseas? I'm wondering.  :unsure

Yes, very much so.
If you are serious about finding a job here, you should arrange an extended job search trip (not just a few weeks!) to Singapore.

Hi Beppi,   :D

Thanks a lot for the  generous replies. . Reminds me of my days when I first went to Singapore way back 2011, it was a lot different then. My first job interview was an overseas call, I was invited for an interview  over the email and they waited for me until I got to Singapore, but sad,  when I got interviewed, I was made to wait for a week, then I applied online for another job, which landed me a job at Changi Airport as IT Level 2 support. I stayed on that job until 2015. It was a lot easier way back then.

I am still hopeful that I may land another IT job; I will heed your advise to stay in Singapore for a longer time.  :D

I first went to Singapore in 1996. Also applied by email from abroad and had an interview by phone, which both was VERY unusual then. Soon completing my first 20 years as PR.
Good luck with your efforts!

Thanks Beppi.

Hahaha we have a lot in common way back then.  :D