Siem reap vacation

Hi,

i'm currently living in Manila, Philippines and planning to travel to siem reap and visit angkor wat. i read some articles about exchange money to riel. but i also read that no need to do that, just bring usd since i can use usd in siem reap. which one is true? is it safe at night to walk or wander the city? \
thanks!

Yes USD is fine, everywhere will accept dollars. Walking around at night is relatively safe, however, like everywhere, just be street wise, don't flash the cash, don't war excessive expensive jewelry, if you staggering about drunk then you could get targeted

Hello amanda.O

You can pay with usd everywhere in Cambodia.

To answer if it safe to walk at night depends on your situation.
If you are a female, drunk and hardly conscious, you might encounter some problems.
If you on the other hand control your alcohol intake and go home in time (not at 4 am) there won't be any problem. Of course this is not a guarantee, just my opinion.
Better anyway to take a tuktuk home at night, not walk.

Good luck.

Joe
Cambodia expat-advisor
Expat.com

naimkhanturk wrote:

Yes USD is fine, everywhere will accept dollars. Walking around at night is relatively safe, however, like everywhere, just be street wise, don't flash the cash, don't war excessive expensive jewelry, if you staggering about drunk then you could get targeted

i see. thank you for your info! :)

JoeKhmer wrote:

Hello amanda.O

You can pay with usd everywhere in Cambodia.

To answer if it safe to walk at night depends on your situation.
If you are a female, drunk and hardly conscious, you might encounter some problems.
If you on the other hand control your alcohol intake and go home in time (not at 4 am) there won't be any problem. Of course this is not a guarantee, just my opinion.
Better anyway to take a tuktuk home at night, not walk.

Good luck.

Joe
Cambodia expat-advisor
Expat.com

i see
is $100 enough for 2 days 1 night including angkor wat entrance fee? accomodation will be calculated separately though.. cause i'll go straight to hanoi after visit angkor wat so i won't prepare a lot for siem reap

thanks! :)

Entrance fee is $37 for one day or $62 for three days.

Depending on your spending style $100 a day might be enough.

Cheers

Joe

JoeKhmer wrote:

Entrance fee is $37 for one day or $62 for three days.

Depending on your spending style $100 a day might be enough.

Cheers

Joe

noted. thanks ! :)

Generally safe but be aware of bag and phone snatches, especially around the Wat Bo area. Not just at night, during the day too.

i see. cause when i check streetview, along charles de gaul street is surrounded by forest. and my hotel is around that area. :D

Not so much forest really. There have been bag snatchings on Charles de Gaulle Street, especially near the National Museum.