Nervous and excited about unexpectantly moving the family to Merida!

Hello! My name is Haley, and I currently live in Oklahoma, USA with my husband and two small children. My husband is a Mexican citizen who hasn't even visited Mexico in about 20 years, however when he was in Mexico applying for his permanent residency this week he was denied and can not return to the US for at least a year. We were caught totally off guard with this decision, but trying our best to deal with it and be back together as a family! I am expediting our passports now, and he is traveling to Merida to look for housing as I speak. Needless to say it is crazy that we are now moving to Merida in less than a month! I was wanting any helpful information on good neighborhoods to look for family friendly living, any travel tips for traveling alone with two littles, or just anyone who wanted to chat who currently lives in the area!

haleyakahaley wrote:

Hello! My name is Haley, and I currently live in Oklahoma, USA with my husband and two small children. My husband is a Mexican citizen who hasn't even visited Mexico in about 20 years, however when he was in Mexico applying for his permanent residency this week he was denied and can not return to the US for at least a year. We were caught totally off guard with this decision, but trying our best to deal with it and be back together as a family! I am expediting our passports now, and he is traveling to Merida to look for housing as I speak. Needless to say it is crazy that we are now moving to Merida in less than a month! I was wanting any helpful information on good neighborhoods to look for family friendly living, any travel tips for traveling alone with two littles, or just anyone who wanted to chat who currently lives in the area!

Wow it seems you have had quite a time. I don't understand why your husband was denied residency. I suspect it had to do with some paperwork or change in a law.  I would recommend he talk to a lawyer here. After 20 years it might just be not being able to prove he is actually a citizen of Mexico by birth.

I live 2 hours north of Merida and visit there often. I also  have a Mexican friend who lived there for many years. If you tell me what your budget is I will ask him.

Obviously the area near el centro and the area around Altabrisa plaza would be fairly safe and good for a family, but may be over your budget. You can check housing at the top of the forum page to see what is out there , and check prices.

I'm assuming your husband is Spanish speaking which will help, 20 years is a long time without Spanish.

Buena suerte

This thread is a couple month old but question for Haley, How have things been working out there?

Travellight, What is a reasonable price for the Altabrisa area?

JGinAZ wrote:

This thread is a couple month old but question for Haley, How have things been working out there?

Travellight, What is a reasonable price for the Altabrisa area?

A reasonable price depends on what you can afford, Those actually living in Merida would have a better idea of actual asking prices.
My friend says it is cheaper there than here. He pays 3,000 pesos a month here, for a nice house.  You might want to check with a rental agent in Merida to see what is available. You might also check yucatanliving for ideas, the focus on Merida.

Hello - I am from Canada and living in Merida now over one year. Absolutely love it! I live in the north by City Centre where it is more new and modern and ay 12,000 for a brand new apartment furnished inc internet and water. Prices vary from 7000 and up for something I would consider decent. Altabrisa is a nice area as well

Am I likely to find a better deal venturing on my own or is a realtor necessary for rental?

JGinAZ wrote:

Am I likely to find a better deal venturing on my own or is a realtor necessary for rental?

Hi, if you speak spanish and ready to search/ walk , you are sure to find a better deal.

Personnal experience, realtor = 1300$USD/month, personal search = 850$USD/month (1st one) then 13000$ pesos/month then 9000$ pesos/month.

The first and last rental are a 2bdrm apartment in a 4 years span quite a difference 9000$ pesos is about 500$USD this in the Riviera Nayarit.

Adios y buen dia a todos, GyC.

Hi JGinAZ ,

Merida is a big city. If you speak and read Spanish you can wander around, I wouldn't, but some do. If it were me I would talk to people I meet. People at the hotel, the taxi driver, people at restaurants. I would look in the local paper, check yucatanliving and keep my eyes open for 'se renta' signs.

It can be pretty overwhelming wandering around in Merida. There is no harm in checking out what realtors have available also. If you don't know the culture and speak Spanish that would be better. There are all sorts of little things about a lease contract in Mexico that can easily slip right by you. Like who pays for what ?.

Just short trips to there can be very draining. I recently spent over an hour looking for someone to repair my belt. One &1/2 hours later after 8 stores and recommendations I found someone who had what I needed. When I first came here I tried to flag down a taxi on the fringe of Merida, He said he didn't go there. So you have to be prepared for those sort of little unexpected problems. Fortunately I had a car, and I just wanted him to guide me to my destination, but what if I hadn't had a car.