Moving to the Languedoc

Hi,

I'd love to move to the South of France and have identified the Languedoc as my preferred region, having ruled out Provence due to the high cost of living. I was just wondering what the job situation was like? I'm British so no visa probs and am an English teacher ... But all the feedback I've heard to date doesn't bode well, especially as I don't speak French all that well it seems my chances of securing a job are slim. I would need to find work as I don't have the funds to support myself longer than a few months. I'm a single woman, and can live frugally and I'm not looking for full time work. Would anyone be able to shed light if I'm aiming for the near impossible?

I was also wondering what the rental market was like? I was thinking of a small village,I know it would make it hard to meet people, but coming from London I'd relish a complete change of pace. Does anyone know the rough price for renting a small place?

Any info would be gratefully received!!

Thanks!
Blu

Hi Blu,

Welcome on Expat-blog! :)

I hope that other members will be able to advise you very soon.

Wish you good luck
Christine

Hi,
I don't want to discourage you,but the job marked in Languedoc is very,very strained.A lot of people move here from other parts of France (and Europe) because of the climate,so the job marked is rather overcrowded.
Due to the popularity of the region,rents are high.But,as you mentionned,they are slightly lower in small villages.
Not speaking French isn't going to help...
After all this depressing informations,I would like to say that in my opinion nothing is ever impossible...I know there are at least one rather big English languageschool in Montpellier: wallstreetinstitute.fr/ and there is allways a demand for English tutoring among students.

Hi Blu,

As above said nothing is impossible, improving your French would be good or you can try to find work now in the tourism sector as season is about to start. I live between Beziers and Montpellier and there is quite some work if you speak English and French with some additional German or Italian.
The housemarket is not cheap and a small village will be further from where there is work to find. Keep in mind it is very hard to rent from immobiliers and also a lot of private owners will ask for garanties. I suggest you try to rent from other foreigners first, or do a Workaway or HelpX, that gives you the chance to meet people and look around in the region. Good Luck ! Marie