Traffic in Sudan

Hello everyone,

Which city or area do you live in in Sudan, and how do you find the traffic?

How long does it take to commute to work or run errands?

Is there a rush hour in your city? What times of the day would you recommend people to avoid driving if they can?

Are there any ways to avoid spending too much time in traffic in Sudan?

What is parking availability and cost like?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Hey

There is traffic in khartoum but not compared to other World capitals, its mostly caused by everyone trying to go no matter what, not following traffic signs etc.
You could move from one side to another in khartoum in max one hour or 1 and half, not hard to do errands if you know where to go but for a beginner since the system is different and you probably need to shop everything from specific shop as there are very few malls.

Rush hour is in morning 7-9 & noo 2-4 these are working times and again from 5-7 or 8 and these are times when visiting or having dinner outside.

Parking is free.

Saving time in traffic by using shortcuts & uncommon roads some are unpaved but to begin with traffic is not traffic in Khartoum you can go anywhere is 20-45.

I have been in Sudan for 3 months now, and believe me roads are far more emptier than what I had in Karachi, Pakistan! My office is around 20 km from my house, which takes about 30 minutes to 40 min at max. In karachi, the same distance would easily consume more than an hour of my time. This includes the so-far only worst part of khartoum's traffice i.e. crossing any of the blue nile bridges. Other than that, the roads are so empty even on weekends that I feel as if I am in a driving paradise :)

The best part is that you don't see a swarm of annoying bikers trying to pry their way to the front at a traffic signal. In karachi, there is literally a mini bike rally at traffic signals which can be extremely annoying.

One thing I wish is that you had more flyover bridges at intersections. Cheers