Traffic in Japan

Hello everyone,

Which city or area do you live in in Japan, and how do you find the traffic?

How long does it take to commute to work or run errands?

Is there a rush hour in your city? What times of the day would you recommend people to avoid driving if they can?

Are there any ways to avoid spending too much time in traffic in Japan?

What is parking availability and cost like?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

I usually hire a car when I visit Japan and drive around Shizuoka and Mount Fuji area. It's really a pleasure to drive here compared to Indonesia where I currently live. I did once drive from Numazu to Haneda at night and it got a bit confusing once I arrived in Tokyo, but apart from that one experience I think it's great because most people drive well and safely and stay within the speed limits.

i usually ride my motorbike but follow car rules. ave speed overall is usually at 30kph if you follow the road speed limit of 30-50kph. If you ignore that and go to a mountain road instead, you could beat expressways speeds!
Heavy Traffic is usually around 7am and 6pm, the usual Rush Hours. After that, it's like you own the road!
Sundays and Holidays are also heavy going to parks and malls.

Hey, Well in Tokyo it depends where you are but, I find traffic is not too bad. I do however find trainlines busy at rush hour. Parking is generally about 1000 yen per day. Hope thats helpful. Cheers : )