Bank Account

i was thinking of opening a bank account,which bank will be ideal for me as i have seen most banks require age of 21.

PS : i dont want any interest on my deposit

I recommend you to choose KFH. When you go there tell them i want to open Saving Account. I think you pay some fees, maybe 10 KD.My little brother who is in school recently opened saving account there.

KFH? Why on earth would anyone open an account there?

Dude, head on up to NBK, the biggest bank in Kuwait, with the most ATMs on every street corner. You can open a shabab account or mustaqbal account (these are below 21 I think).

the thing about these accounts which are not salary accounts is that if the money drops below 100KD at the beginning of the month you are charged a 2KD fee. But they do not charge you a fee to open the account, never heard of that happening before Moo to be honest, and ive tried NBK, GBK (sucks) and CBK.

The two aforementioned accounts also give u the benefit of discounts at certain retail stores.

So, Ace117, if ur below 21, fret not, as one of these accounts is suited for you.

Plus, the shabab account has a nifty, yellow-see-through ATM card, neat eh? :P

here you go, this is the shabab account:
http://www.kuwait.nbk.com/personal/pack … en_gb.aspx

i think this is the one for u, i opened my mustaqbal account at 20, roughly 21, but as a salary account.

oh wait wait! Shabab account does not have a minimum balance penalty! so even if u have 0KD in it, they will not charge u anything :)

and dont worry about interest baering accounts in kuwait, the interest is infinitesimally small it doesnt count for jack-didily

Thanks Moo and Legacy for ur advices.

and can i use the shabab account for receiving and making payments, online worldwide.

technically, no.

ATM, or debit cards, are not recognised digitally, you need a visa/ mastercard for that, also because ATM cards here run on K-NET/ GCCNET, so at most you can buy tickets with them online from jazeera etc.

BUT, if you want to make payments, buy stuff online etc. simply request an internet shopping card when you apply for your shabab account with NBK.

the internet shopping card acts as a virtual visa, (actually called visa virtuon), and the best thing about it is you control how much money you transfer into it from your ATM (online throught watani-online).

the internet shopping card is free for the first year (i think), and then its 5KD a year fees.

other banks will tell u u need to keep a minimum deposit in ur net shopping card, not with NBK. lets say u want to buy something from amazon that costs $30, u transfer 15KD to your internet shopping card (15KD is more than $30, but keep in mind banks use different exchange rates etc), and authorise the payment. whatever is left over u can transfer back to ur ATM account.

*phew*

ud think NBK would cut me a commission on getting them customers, i'll just settle for the dividends they pay on their shares :P

thank you so much for this information.it will be very helpful