Urgent Visa Extension Question

Hi,

Me and my girlfriend have been in Vietnam for almost 3 months. We arrived in Hanoi using a VOA arrival, 3 month multiple entry. Our visa runs out this Saturday, 11th November. We are currently living in HCM and need some help on the best option.

Should we fly to Malaysia on Thursday and fly back to HCM on Friday and do the same process, new 3 month VOA letter in hand when landing or shall we use an agent here and get on a bus to Cambodia and come back the same day?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi there,

The fastest and closest border is Moc Bai, one of the Cambodian Borders.  This is approximately 6 hours return trip from Saigon by Bus  (  There are many buses from Saigon )  The Best bus connection is from Pham Ngu Lao in District 1.

You can do this yourselves without an Agent...............if you want to save money and being ripped off

Good Luck......................hd375c

Welcome on board, plumed90 :)

If you want an "extension", you should get in touch with a travel/visa agent here in HCMC and see for how many months your visas (two of you) can be extended and at what cost.

In case of an "extension" you don't need to leave VN.
The agent will collect your passports and get your extensions done from the Immigration Dept.

The two options that you've mentioned are about getting a new 3 months visa on arrival.
The procedures are same. You need Visa Approval Letter/s (for two of you).

IMO, getting a new 3 months visa at Moc Bai (Cambodia border) is the best and least expensive option.
How To Get Vietnam Visa In Moc Bai Border Checkpoint (for reference only)

Cheers!  :cheers:

Hi HD,

Thanks for getting back to me. Would that be the 703 bus?

I've been quoted $18 for a 3 month single entry. Will also need to pay for the Cambodian Visa ($35) and the vietnam stamping fee. Any ideas what this is?

Just trying to add it all together and work out if it's cheaper to fly out of the country

thanks

$18 for a three month extension?!?! Where have you seen that?

Sorry it's 18 usd for the approval letter for the Moc Bai border. I think you also have to pay a $35 stamping fee and $35 for the Cambodian visa. That sound about right?

Hi there,

You do not need an approval letter anymore ( I think this is outdated or another scam from the past)

You only pay for the Cambodian visa and then a fee for return Vietnam Visa..............yeah it sounds confusing and complicated, but there is nothing to it,  Bus 703, you can even negotiate with the bus conductor to do this for a small fee to get this done.

I was in a similar situation in August this year.

It is your choice if you want to save time.............Cheers

Not quite, no. Still seems relatively cheap. If you've found it at that, though, all the best!

If " Senwi" is correct and an " extension" to your visa does not require you to leave Vn then you possibly don,t need to arrange it thru an agent either.
The visa extension office is at
196 Nyguyen Thi Minh Khan,more or less at the junction with Truong Dinah,District 3( about 15 minutes walk from Ben Thanh market).
It's marked on Google maps as
Phong Quan Ly Xuat Nhap Canh
There are some very good reviews on Google maps of the service there including quote" very helpful to get a visa extension" and" no need to use an agent".The reviews are in English so I don,t know if the staff there speak English but I have been to the building numerous times( my Vn wife arranges my visa extension) and seen foreigners there alone so I guess there would possibly be some form of communication.
Who knows...a walk there might save you a bus journey to the border.
If you do go there please leave a post if you do obtain a visa as I guess there would be others interested in your reply
If you can,t find it on Google maps then let me know ,I walk somedays in the park opposite so would be happy to show you the building.

hd375c wrote:

Hi there,

You do not need an approval letter anymore ( I think this is outdated or another scam from the past)

You only pay for the Cambodian visa and then a fee for return Vietnam Visa..............yeah it sounds confusing and complicated, but there is nothing to it,  Bus 703, you can even negotiate with the bus conductor to do this for a small fee to get this done.

I was in a similar situation in August this year.

It is your choice if you want to save time.............Cheers

What type of visa were you on when you did the Moc Bai visa run?
Your account sounds pretty similar to those where expats do the run for re-stamping of their 5 yr VECs or long term tourist visas (US citizens).

While re-entering Vietnam with a new tourist visa on arrival, you need a visa approval letter
A visa approval letter confirms that you have already declared your intended stay in Vietnam to the Immigration Authorities in Hanoi.
Your VoA is guaranteed unless they catch you with contrabands etc. at the exit-entry port.

That's the rule, anything other than that is scam.

Moc Bai port is infamous for all sorts of touts, agents and extortionists.
There were even accusations of Fake Visa Stamps.
It's up to you whether you choose to invite such people to rip you off or not.

Just to follow up on this, the trip was successful with no hiccups. If you want any more details just ask!