Vaccines for Cambodia

Hay all going over for 1 year could be longer for work will be outdoors/farms most of the time been told by my local GP here in Australia I should get them done
Hepatitis shots
malaria
Japanese encephalitis
What's your thoughts on this as time for the hep shot is running short
An is malaria rampant over there

Hello.

Hepatitis is a good idea, the other two not really.

Malaria is existing but quite rare. I live in SE Asia since 11 years and have never seen a malaria case close by.
Advisable though is to take Doxycycline tablets with you, enough for a full 5 day treatment. I bought them before going to live in the Cardamom rain forest, but never used them, still a good idea to have it as an extra.

I have seen one case of encephalitis where a young girl died. It is mainly caused by unhygienic behaviour, like drinking out of one mug by several people (schools, street restaurants), not washing hands regularly and so on. When working on a farm be very clean to yourself, drink out of a bottle or can that only you use, wash glass and cups with water and detergent, not just cold water.
The optimum in cleanliness is the use of hydrogen peroxide 3%, available at pharmacies. Spray it on any surface, cup, glass and rinse after 2 minutes, guaranteed no bacteria left.

Cheers

Joe
Cambodia expat-advisor
Expat.com team

There are no shots for Malaria and it is pretty rare. I have been here for 9 years and have not bothered with encephalitis, rabies, or malaria medication. Tetanus and hep are a good call though.

Can you get the hep shots over there as flying out in the 29th this month

Yes, you can but I think you need a few weeks for the shots to be effective.  But I am not a Doctor.

Chappo wrote:

Can you get the hep shots over there as flying out in the 29th this month

Find all information from Institute Pasteur.

http://www.pasteur-kh.org/

Joe
Cambodia expat--advisor
Expat.com team

Rabies vacc. is a must, esp. for farm work and being even slightly rural (i.e. not just staying in Phnom Penh) we've had several cases now of foreigners dying from it.

Also, malaria (which is safe to say, no long-term ex-pat in Cambodia takes pills for) isn't what you have to worry about but Dengue. A friend of mine caught it in Siem Reap last year. Dengue can get so bad, you wish you had malaria.

Knowledge is power here. Dengue only spreads if there are already infected people around, it's not a virus that lives in a swamp, rice field or jungle waiting for an unlucky schmuck to walk by. The virus carrying mosquitoes also don't fly that far during their life span. So, this means it spreads much faster in closely populated areas.

In schools they vaccinate the children against Japanese encephalitis nowadays, at least in Sihanoukville they do. In the rest of the country I don't know.
Vaccination against malaria doesn't exist but be careful and protect yourself. Although there are not many cases, Malaria here is one of the most serious in the world.
You can go to Pasteur Institute near Calmette when you arrive. They will give you good advice.

I read that it is ok to get vaccines at the Embassy Medical Center or the Pasteur Institute in PP, but does anyone know a reputable place to get rabies and typhoid vaccine in Siem Reap?

TB booster shot good idea.

http://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinat … a-map.aspx

Cambodia

Malaria

Estimated relative risk of malaria for US travelers: Low.

Drug resistance: Chloroquine and mefloquine.

Malaria species: P. falciparum 86%, P. vivax 12%, P. malariae 2%, P. knowlesi rare.

Recommended chemoprophylaxis: In the provinces of Banteay Meanchey, Battambang, Kampot, Koh Kong, Odder Meanchey, Pailin, Preah Vihear, Pursat, and Siem Reap bordering Thailand: Atovaquone-proguanil or doxycycline. All other areas with malaria: Atovaquone-proguanil, doxycycline, or mefloquine.

> Hepatitis shots

These need more than a few weeks to be effective.

The first shot is given day 0.
The next one is day 30.
The last one is day 60 (from memory). 

So if you are flying out on 29/12/2017, you won't have time to get the shots in your home country.

You should be able to get them done in Cambodia but make sure that the doctor who is giving the vaccine is reliable (ie. good quality vaccines).

I'd also contemplate tetanus booster if you haven't had one done for >10 years.