Having a Swiss account in USA

Hi,

I'm expatriate in USA since 1 year now, but i m still an Switzerland employee. Unfortunately it s really hard to keep my Swiss account, most of Swiss bank don't want anymore to deal with US resident.

Is anybody have some tips about that ?

Best Regards,

David.

Keeping Swiss account got very difficult when the US government require all Swiss bank to report all bank activities to them.
I would try to open an American bank account

thedadycool wrote:

Hi,

I'm expatriate in USA since 1 year now, but i m still an Switzerland employee. Unfortunately it s really hard to keep my Swiss account, most of Swiss bank don't want anymore to deal with US resident.

Is anybody have some tips about that ?

Best Regards,

David.

Since you are earning money in the USA you are expected to file USA income tax returns.  Part of that return could involve reporting foreign bank accounts if at any one time during the year all the foreign accounts had a combined worth of $10,000 USD or more.

I still have my account with www.cler.ch (in former times Bankcoop). They asked a lot of questions but finally they accepted having the account with them. I also had my Pensionfunds with them after leaving the Swiss part of my company. It sill works.
My Pensionfunds I moved recently to Pensfree sitting the Kanton Schwyz. It seems to be that they are familiar with people working in the US. Maybe they can help you.

mailto:[email protected]

Banks world-wide are getting rid of US clients – in some countries even if they have residency. The reason is that there is a witch hunt for people who could possibly hide money overseas from US taxes. The IRS attitude is that if you have an account overseas then you are a criminal. But those of us who live outside of the US HAVE to have an account. Foreign banks have been strong armed into giving up their client's bank information – even in places like Switzerland. This is often a violation of the local countries bank secrecy laws. But nearly all banks do international business or transactions. They cannot do anything in or with the US unless they comply. Credit Swiss was fined something like 800 million dollars some years back for supposedly helping Americans to avoid taxes.

The IRS demands all information on American persons be given on a yearly basis – although the individuals themselves have to report all foreign financial assets anyway. The demands of the IRS have just gotten so crazy that banks don't want to deal with it anymore. And this doesn't just apply to American citizens but what the IRS calls “US persons” which includes foreigners who work or live in the States – even part time.

I am an American living legally in Germany for decades with no ties to the US. But I have had problems to have investments in Germany and my main bank has said they might not be able to even allow me to have an account in the near future. The BS about it is that expats are not the ones hiding and cheating on taxes. And if one really has millions, like most of the big cheaters, then there are still legal ways around the rules. It is making life tough for Americans abroad and foreigners in America who now have trouble to maintain an account in their home country. I am in the process of giving up my American citizenship for German – and will still have to prove that I have no work, income or residency in the States – to be certified as a non-US person.