Condo Security

Greetings all,
     While I am staying long term in Chiang Mai, I intend to take some short time excursions in around the Northern area. I would like to know would it be safe to leave my personal items in my Condo, or is it recommended to store my personal valuables outside of my Condo while traveling abroad within Thailand?
     On another front, are there any places/neighborhood I should be wary of/avoid while staying in the CM area? i am considering SR condo or PP condo in the Tha Sala/Mueang area due to the close proximity to the school I will be training at so I can walk home for exercise even though I plan to have a motorbike for commuting/touring. i am also considering a place in San Pa Pao, San Sai and some places in Chang Phueak, although these districts don't concern me as much due to the locations being close to the super highway. My main concern is losing my personal belongings due to burglary while I am away on tour within/around Thailand. I will be living on close to a shoestring buget after my initial transition, so I am looking at a budget of around 5K baht/Month for rent, hence my questions about security/neighborhoods.

CM is a lot safer than many other places you might visit. I'm sure that simply locking your condo when you leave should be sufficient.
What kind of school are you attending?

Ruffian Dick wrote:

CM is a lot safer than many other places you might visit. I'm sure that simply locking your condo when you leave should be sufficient.
What kind of school are you attending?

Thank you for your Response. I intend to train for a TEFL certification at SeeTEFL:
(SEE TEFL
208/2 Kaewnawarat Road
T. Watkate, A. Muang
Chiang Mai 50000 Thailand)

The two closest condos I am currently considering are PP condo (Tha Sala,Mueang Chiang Mai) and SR condo (Nong Pa Khrang,Mueang Chiang Mai). Both are within walking distance for exercise (I have walked an equivalent distance from the walled city to the Rainforest Boutique hotel (23/1 Charoen Muang Rd. Soi 5 T.Tasara A.Muang), although I do plan to buy a motorbike. i had some concerns upon looking at pictures I googled of PP and SR condos.

Well, it looks like the SR condo looks "dodgy" from the point of view of Google Map's little rubber man. ;) Remember that's pretty much on top of the CM rail station, for what its worth.

I'm not "on the ground" right now, so I'll let some current expats chime in.

Ruffian Dick wrote:

Well, it looks like the SR condo looks "dodgy" from the point of view of Google Map's little rubber man. ;) Remember that's pretty much on top of the CM rail station, for what its worth.

I'm not "on the ground" right now, so I'll let some current expats chime in.

I agree, but this is why I posted my question. My primary motivation is my budget (rent around 7k/month or less). Living conditions is not a big deal for me, but I am mostly concerned with the people living in the neighborhood. I will be on a shoestring budget after my initial move in allowance, including a motorbike purchase, and Tuition fees. forgoing the location requirement I have found several location within my budget in San Sai, and Chang Phueak.