Do and don't in Scotland

Are you living in Scotland? We need you to share your experience of the local customs :)

Is it difficult to adjust to the local customs in Scotland?

Could you please share with us a list of the do's and don't's in Scotland?

Thanks!

Dont discuss religion.

Do:
- Carry and umbrella with you at all times.

Don't:
- Ever jump queue

Religion? who would do that? anyway, most people I know here are quite apathetic.

In regards the "who would discuss religion" comment , you havnt spent any time in Glasgow or central scotland im thinking.Take an interest in football there , im sure you have to be aware religion plays a big part of even that.I dont know about apathetic..pathetic was more like it.

Well, there is more to Scotland than Glasgow. I live in Aberdeen where almost all churches have been converted to pubs and our football team is not great so ppl here are not so obsessed about it. No one really cares abt religion either.

Really ? Im guessing you are new to Aberdeen.Thier football fans are amongst the most bitter.
I dont think you have a true picture of Aberdeen yet at all.

I have been living here for 3 years. And our football fans may be bitter but they are not the majority which is waht I meant to say. Of course have in mind I am a girl and I couldn't care less abt football and guys don't talk to me abt football. So let's agree our experiences in that respect are different.

Don't
Admire the English before a Socttish fanatic

Don't:
mention the Queen
insult Irn Bru
assume that the Union Jack flag represents the Scottish

Do:
always be prepared for the weather to change
enjoy the Indian take aways
learn your way around the Scotrail
watch out for dog poo while walking

Just my friendly reminders and observations:)

Hi, I'm Azad Santhosh Kumar from India coming to University of Glasgow for Masters in Aerospace Engineering and Management,  for Jan intake in 2010, is any one der who can Guide and share with me der:P:o:P:lol:

Do: use megabus instead of trains in between cities all over Scotland
Dont: be a scab and work illegally
Do: eat a pub lunch at 'the counting house' In dundee
Do: shop up in primark for everything from bras to towels to shorts and jewelley and scarves
Do: treat yourself to something from top shop or the like :)
Do: immerse yourself with the locals
Do: go to a rock concert in Glasgow

Don't:
Mention England. Unless you are criticizing it

Do:
Buy a pair of Wellies
Take public transport
Shop at Primark

do - be a tourist, go up Edinbro castle, visit Nessie etc.
do - go to a ceilidh.
do - go the chippy in Anster (Anstruther)....leave the better one in Pittenweem to the locals ;-)
do - go to Edinburgh for Hogmanay, no place better in the world.
do - visit the festival in September.
do - go to Glasgow for the shopping.

don't - go to Glasgow or anywhere in the west coast on OF day or the 12th July.
don't - talk about politics, religion or football in a pub

Do enjoy a good Scottish breakfast
Do try Haggis
Do visit the Highlands and Islands

Don't praise Glasgow to an Edinburgh lad or anyone from Aberdeen.

Don't - Talk to anyone in tracksuits asking "any spare change pal" They'll claim it's for the bus but it's usually for drugs or Buckfast wine

That's applicable to the whole island, not only Scotland, haha!

DO enjoy small towns
DO take the time to take a detour to visit this or that Historic site whenever you drive. Some are really cool.
DO mix with the people
DO take your time to discover the amazing whisky world and varieties, even if you are not a huge drinker
DON'T refer to the UK as England (spanish people do) specially when talking in public :)
DO your best to enjoy the everchanging weather
DO be yourself. Sctos are always!