New member, asking for tips before moving to Sao Paulo

Hi!

My name is Teodor and I'm new here. I am now living in Sweden just south of Stockholm, but my family, wife and two children (3 years & 8 months) and I will possibly move to Sao Paulo after the summer of 2011.

My job would then be in Sao Bernardo do Campo, an area I am not at all familiar with. Many thoughts/questions are spinning in my head and we would greatly appreciate some tips/information before we take the decision to move.

1. Tips on good areas to live in not too far away from my work? With two young children, it would be nice with a house in a safe area, preferably where there is opportunity for kids to be out playing etc. I have seen that the Swedish Church, the Scandinavian School etc are pretty close to each other about 30 km northwest of Sao Bernardo do Campo. Could this be a good place to live in? Maybe 30 km is too far away considering the traffic? My company will eventually arrange for accommodation, so I do not exactly know the budget...

2. Ideas of how my kids could meet friends in their own age to play with? I've heard that the Scandinavian school has some kind of preschool for young children. Does anyone know of this? Other ideas?

3. Some tips on clubs or other places we (mostly my wife and children) can meet people (Swedes or English speaking, as we do not yet speak Portuguese)?

I hope someone here can help me with some of the above questions. Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,
Teodor

Hi and welcome on Expat.com Teodor :)

I hope other members will be able to share their experiences and advise you soon!

Good luck
Armand

hi Teodor, I really wouldn't worry about meeting people too much...Brazilians are incredibly friendly and always curious to get to know foreigners in their country (other than tourists, it's not the most regular occurence for people to immigrate to Brazil, i get the impression anyway).
As long as you make a big effort to learn Portuguese, you will be welcomed with open arms (and I am living in Sao Paulo which in theory shouldn't be friendly at all, but it is!).
Maybe suggest doing some conversation exchanges or coffee mornings for your wife? Brazilians are usually quite keen to practice their English, or learn more.
Good luck! this is a great country....

Hi Theodor, my name is Eduardo, I'm lives in São Paulo, I borned here. I think São Caetano it's a good place for your family, read about this city, it's between São Bernando and São Paulo.
Your children will don't have work to make some friends.
Good luck, if you have some doubt, you can ask me.
(sorry, I don't know english very well).

Eduardo