Keeping in touch while living in Malta

Hello everyone,

What are the best ways you've found for keeping in touch with friends and family back home while living in Malta? How frequently do you stay in touch with loved ones?

Are there local equivalents to common instant messaging and online video calling services that you prefer or are more widely used?

If there is a sizeable time difference, how do you manage this?

Do you make international phone calls from a landline or mobile phone from Malta? What do you think of the cost?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

We speak with our family once a week using FaceTime and as they live in Germany we are on the same time, we also use messenger a lot.
In fact I think we are in more contact now then when we all lived in the U.K. and instead of seeing each other for the odd weekend it's now at least a week at a time, in fact we are going to see them tomorrow for ten days.

This is easy, we don't.....

I use WhatsApp/Skype over WIFI which is free (we have Vodafone internet). I have family in the UK so there is only an hour time difference.

I do miss meeting my friends but to be honest when I go home I get bored of the things I missed after a few days. After seeing this pattern repeated I realised it's just missing what's not available and it's not that serious.

I use Facebook and Skype.

I use Skype to speak to my parents every week but I also use messenger, the phone and email for other for my other family members and friends, everyone I contact is in the UK. Keeping in touch is so easy.

I use FaceTime pretty much daily to keep in touch with my Mother in the UK.
We also use WhatsApp and our mobile phones as the contract we have includes normal use throughout the eu.

Skype mainly, whatsapp and also the facebook messenger app allows you to call - saves alot when calling back to the UK or away from Malta