Do and don't in Greece

Are you living in Greece? We need you to share your experience of the local customs :)

Is it difficult to adjust to the local customs in Greece?

Could you please share with us a list of the do's and don't's in Greece?

Thanks!

1. Do not say "no" to a family invitation (for lunch).
2. Do respect the family- particularly the mother.
3. Don't refuse to eat even though sometime it is really too much
4. Do compliment the mother and thank her for her lovely cooking.
5. Do try to drink spirits with the men yet I should warn you- They drink a lot and the spirits are strong...
5. Don't get too drunk
6. but if you do, don't flirt with your friend's wife, nor with the mother who is in most cases fat, short and wearing blacks
7. Do join the men dancing Sirtaki
8. Laugh out loud from their jokes
9. Tell them few of your own (funny ones!!)
10. And most important- Socialize easily and be cool

Greece Tips:

I am Greek-Canadian Born and raised in Canada and Planning to Move to Greece sometime in the near future.  These are all Tips that I learned the Hard Way on my recent 3 trips (2003, 2007, and 2009).  Every time I was there, I was treated different each time and I realized many new things.  My time was spent in very small towns (mom and Dad's towns in 2 different areas).  In the big cities you will not have a problem, since almost nobody makes eye contact or cares about you and the group of people (your inner circle) should be treated almost like the ones in the small towns, since after all, Athens is just a bunch of Individual Neighbourhoods (or small towns) put together.

Do not tell them how they should be doing things (even if it is wrong and if showing them they could save time and money), but if they ask you, then show them "Baby Steps", but don't over do it.

If someone asks you for your opinion, be nice, but don't tell them too much (be ready to back it up, because they have already made inquiries about you by asking around and they know more about you than you know about them) and try not to show off, even if you know you are right.  The pace is slow, so you will have the chance to prove your point at a later time.

Do not tell them too much about your Financial Status.  Depending on the way you dress and what you drive, they will know (but at the same time, looks ARE deceiving) and don't believe everything they tell you.

When it comes to anything about anything i.e. laws or help on how to do something…….don't ask and don't count on them helping you……Unless there is something in it for them (don't get me wrong, they are very nice and they do care about you, they truly do, but they will NOT go out of there way to help you………they will not even help themselves.)  Remember everything will be slow.

I have more, but got to run..............

(Dam, I just gave away a lot of Greek Secrets, .......what's in it for me???............lol...lol...that was a joke.......I love to help out people and that is what gets me in to trouble.  In the future, I may need to train myself to be like them, if I want to live there……I know that I will be biting my lip a lot.

Hi Xtos:)
I am Greek but born and raised in Canada(Montreal) also.
I do agree with some of your points lol!!!

I've been in Greece for almost 4yrs but used to travel to Greece about 2x a year before that.

Thing is here, theyre sly and they THINK everyone else is dumb (lol) and we on our side are so honest we cannot imagine ppl would actually say and do several things I've seen here throughout my life. True in the city it's easier to get by as opposed to villages and island, however on villages and Islands ppl have remained a bit more pure and helpful.

So when are you moving here? what's is the purpose? Business or pleasure? where will you move to?
:)

Hi KOUKLA75

Thanks for your reply!!!

I would love to be there NOW!!!  ASAP!!!, but it will take me longer than I expected.  The thing about Greece is......there never is and there will never be a Perfect Time to Move to Greece....you just need to do it.  I have had some obstacles in the way and continue to navigate through them, but I will make it there one of these days.

What I am looking for is a job or starting my own business that can be done Online from home.  This will allow me the Freedom to live in my dad's small town in Evia and still be close to Athens when needed.  It would be cool to work for a Company in Canada (I know all the rules already and the Work-Culture, and How taxes work) from Greece and while I am in Greece, I can have something else too i.e. Rooms to rent or Net Cafe.

Also before coming there, I would need to work out my Military Obligations.  I was in 2 Car Accidents and have some other Health Related Issues that may play a role, at the same time I believe that the Service has been reduced to just 3 months for us born outside.

If I had a job lined up, I would even come today and deal with the Military Obligations somehow on a later date.  Hell, I would even come if I did not have a job at the beginning, but maybe a place to stay (Dad got the house in the village, but it is NOT livable, it is ready to fall).

This would Fulfill a life long dream for me.  All I think and live for is Greece.  My Family and Friends are sick of me talking about Wonderful Greece and they even run away from me if they hear me driving down the street with my windows Fully Open dancing to Greek Music in my car and hanging out the window......somebody has got to Educate the Canadezos about Greek Culture and History!!!!  OPA!!!

Take Care!!!

H Ellada Pote Den Petheni!!!!

Xtos I TOO was all excited before I got here and actually lived here and dealt with everyone /thing daily, dont wanna bust your bubble but once you're here many things will make you wonder what u were bragging bout lol.
And THIS is really NOT the time to move here(Im really trying to be honest may sound cynical but the truth is the best policy, smt you will not find easily in Greece btw! lol)
Make sure you do all ur paperwork if you havent acquired your Greek citizenship yet, its A LONG procedure, so u can get a small head start at the Greek embassy there & MAKE sure you bring ALL your documents TRANSLATED.You will have lots of running around to do at City Hall, Liksiarxeia etc.
For the job part its really NOT easy here and life is expensive as hell, anyhow I wish u luck and if theres anything u need or questions lemme know:)

Hello
I am Greek ,living all my life in Greece and i know exactly what you mean.  I dont like the way they behave most of the times . Too much show off,too mush bla bla . And i have to cope with them. But on the other  hand if i am away i really miss them. They are warm and really funny.

xtos wrote:

Greece Tips:

I am Greek-Canadian Born and raised in Canada and Planning to Move to Greece sometime in the near future.  These are all Tips that I learned the Hard Way on my recent 3 trips (2003, 2007, and 2009).  Every time I was there, I was treated different each time and I realized many new things.  My time was spent in very small towns (mom and Dad's towns in 2 different areas).  In the big cities you will not have a problem, since almost nobody makes eye contact or cares about you and the group of people (your inner circle) should be treated almost like the ones in the small towns, since after all, Athens is just a bunch of Individual Neighbourhoods (or small towns) put together.

Do not tell them how they should be doing things (even if it is wrong and if showing them they could save time and money), but if they ask you, then show them "Baby Steps", but don't over do it.

If someone asks you for your opinion, be nice, but don't tell them too much (be ready to back it up, because they have already made inquiries about you by asking around and they know more about you than you know about them) and try not to show off, even if you know you are right.  The pace is slow, so you will have the chance to prove your point at a later time.

Do not tell them too much about your Financial Status.  Depending on the way you dress and what you drive, they will know (but at the same time, looks ARE deceiving) and don't believe everything they tell you.

When it comes to anything about anything i.e. laws or help on how to do something…….don't ask and don't count on them helping you……Unless there is something in it for them (don't get me wrong, they are very nice and they do care about you, they truly do, but they will NOT go out of there way to help you………they will not even help themselves.)  Remember everything will be slow.

I have more, but got to run..............

(Dam, I just gave away a lot of Greek Secrets, .......what's in it for me???............lol...lol...that was a joke.......I love to help out people and that is what gets me in to trouble.  In the future, I may need to train myself to be like them, if I want to live there……I know that I will be biting my lip a lot.