Keeping in touch while living in Afghanistan

Hello everyone,

What are the best ways you've found for keeping in touch with friends and family back home while living in Afghanistan? How frequently do you stay in touch with loved ones?

Are there local equivalents to common instant messaging and online video calling services that you prefer or are more widely used?

If there is a sizeable time difference, how do you manage this?

Do you make international phone calls from a landline or mobile phone from Afghanistan? What do you think of the cost?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Hello,

Since one year I am not living in Afghanistan. But it was quite good time in Afghanistan. I always had contact with family and friends. There is no land line telephones in the offices. Mobile communication was quite good and reasonable. I called home every day and that cost 5.5 AFN per minute. It means with 1$ you can talk 12 minutes by mobile phone. There are 4 communication companies in Afghanistan; AWCC, MTN, Etesalat, Roshan. The best quality and coverage has Roshan. Also internet packages quite fare. Internet in offices and Guest Houses were quite good and I often used imo, Skype and Telegram. With Skype I could talk for hours while internet was provided by organisation.

Best regards,
Fozil