The Residency blues

I have initiated my trial by fire, seeking CR permanent residency; which should be no sweat given that I am married to a Tica and have 2 Tica daughters. Note that I am applying for a VINCULO FAMILIAR CON COSTARRICENSE, the requirements for other types of visas are different. The challenge is obtaining the documents from CR without returning to the US.

I will be making the application, CARTA DE SOLICITUD, directly (there is a form); that is to say without the use of an attorney, and obviously assembling the document package myself.

I requested a certified copy of my birth certificate and had same notarized by the US Embassy for $50.00. An international money order was required for payment to CA. When my daughter in the US receives it, she will send it back to CA where for another $20.00 the state will certify that the signature is valid. Then she will send it to me (with a cashier's check for the CR Consulate in CA) so that I can have it translated by someone on the list of the Minestero de Relaciones Exteriores, then back to the CR Consulate in CA with the $40 check. And back again to my daughter, who will then send it to me.
whew  (estimated time - 2 months)

The Police good conduct report is much more difficult, to request such from CA by mail requires ones fingerprints on a hard form FD258.

-> Does anyone know if a hard form FD258 can be had in CR??

The Archivo Policial are the same people that will take one's prints for the CR check (a photo and marriage certificate from the Registro Civil also needed), and with a 15 colone legal paper will complete and certify the FD258 prints and identity. Of course this certification must be translated and accompany the request form with another international money order to CA for payment.

Next will be a (certified/notarized of course) copy of all pages of the passport.

will update as I learn more

Ron, please advise if you see something amiss.

Bill

edit: a useful link (if you know just what to ask !)
immigration phone numbers - in Spanish

Costa Rican residency grants foreign nationals the legal right to live in Costa Rica. If you plan to permanently relocate to Costa Rica, you should become a legal resident.
http://www.costarica.com/retirement/rel … igibility/

Temporary Residency

Temporary residency allows foreigners the right to live in Costa Rica for a set period of time, usually one to five years. The most common types of temporary residency are Rentista (Annuity Holder), Pensionado (Retiree), and Inversionista (Investor). As of March 2010, foreign spouses of Costa Ricans must apply for temporary residency.

Temporary residents are permitted to live in Costa Rica, own a business, and collect income from a business; they may not work in their own business or as an employee. As a temporary resident, you are subject to certain annual residency requirements, and may have to exchange a required amount of dollars each month. See more on Residency Eligibility.

Permanent Residency

There are two ways to obtain permanent residency: through first-degree relation to a Costa Rican or by holding temporary residency for a period of three years. Permanent residency must be renewed every year, but does not expire. Permanent residents may legally work in Costa Rica.

A first-degree relationship includes parents and children (under age 25) of Costa Rican citizens, minor siblings of Costa Rican citizens, and parents or siblings of disabled Costa Rican citizens. As of March 2010, Immigration no longer considers marriage a first-degree relationship status; spouses of Costa Rican citizens must file for temporary residency.

If you have held temporary residency – Rentista (Annuity Holder), Pensionado (Retiree), Inversionista (Investor), or Spousal – for more than three years, you are eligible to change your residency status to permanent resident. This request will be subject to a $200 fee. See more on Residency Eligibility.

Citizenship

Some residents choose to cement their link to Costa Rica by applying for citizenship through naturalization. You are eligible for naturalization after two years of marriage to a Costa Rican or seven years of legal residency.

If you plan to permanently relocate to Costa Rica, you should also plan to become a legal resident. There are several paths to legal residency, which are outlined below. We recommend that you consult a lawyer before beginning the process since Costa Rican residency requires a lot of paperwork and knowledge of Spanish legalese.

Permanent Residency

This is the most flexible form of Costa Rican residency.

Application Requirements: First-degree relationship to a Costa Rican citizen.

•    Parents of minor Costa Rican citizens

•    Children of Costa Rican citizens: May only apply through age 25

•    Parents or sibling caretakers of disabled Costa Rican citizens

•    Minor siblings of Costa Rican citizens

•    Additionally, expats who have had legal temporary residency (see below) for at least three years may apply for permanent residency.

•    Note: As of March 2010, spouses of Costa Rican citizens do not qualify for permanent residency. They must apply for temporary residency.

Currency Exchange Requirement: There are no monthly currency exchange requirements.

Caja (Public Health Insurance) Requirement: Permanent residents are required to affiliate with the public health system (CCSS). This may be through your employer or as a voluntary member or an independent worker.

Dependents: Costa Rican permanent residents may claim spouses and first-degree family members (for example, minor children).

Work Status: You are legal to work in Costa Rica. You may also own a company and receive income.

Minimum Residency Requirement: As a permanent resident, you must visit Costa Rica at least once per year for a minimum of 72 hours.

Length of Validity: Permanent residents are required to renew their residency every year.

Just came back from 8 days in Panama,came through Paso Canoas had no trouble received 90 day visa, was driving my own car which has Costa Rican plates.

BillA:
http://www.costarica.com/retirement/rel … documents/ This is another useful site for required documents. Did notice you have no info on registering with USA Embassy which is required also finger prints here in Costa Rica. All documents must have authentication requirements both from USA & Costa Rican consulate located in CA if that is the consulate that is responsible  for the state of your birth.You also will need your marriage license authenticated. Proof of income must also be authenticated by both USA & Costa Rica. Total fees I paid for all authentications to Costa Rica was$280.00 deposited in bank account number (Bank of America) I received from calling Costa Rican consulate.It is my understanding that all documents need to be authenticated in your USA state of origin by The Secretary of State office.

Hi Ron,
Many Thanks for your informative comments. Every day is a new lesson.

"Note: As of March 2010, spouses of Costa Rican citizens do not qualify for permanent residency. They must apply for temporary residency."
The other requirements I was familiar with (except registering with the US Embassy), but this change floored me.

The naturalization process is far more simple than residency, and renders residency moot.
I have already been fingerprinted by CR, and a US police check is not required - avoiding the (US) fingerprinting supreme hassle.
I have been married for (many) more than 2 years and my US marriage has been registered with CR Civil Registry.
My present passport shows more than 2 years in country, adjusted for days out getting visa renewals - for which I will need a certificate from the CR Computer Department of Immigration.
My birth certificate is 'in the works', and even that can be replaced with a sworn statement to Immigration.

It is a year long process but seems far easier than the temporary/permanent residence process.

Comments?

Bill

Last week I received a letter from Calif. in response to my request (notarized by the US embassy, $50 thank you) for a birth certificate, made over 3 weeks ago, informing me that my request would be processed in 10 weeks !!

ah, gotta love those bureaucrats

and then I get to send it back to them to get the signature verified, get it here and have it translated and registered, then back to the CR consulate in CA

ain't it swell, 'nother visa run ahead

Bill