Trying to form an Athens arts & culture community

I've recently moved to Athens but have a few very good Greek friends here that have inspired me to try to form some sort of English-based online community for promoting and discussing arts and culture in Athens.  Something for foreigners and Greeks alike, but without the touristy feel.

For arts and culture, Athens has a lot going for it and I don't feel many people outside Greece know about it.  A proper online community could be a good way for expats living in Athens and people visiting the city to know where to go and what to do and have ways of organizing activities, projects and events with one another: anything from attending film screenings, to participating in creative projects (filmmaking, photography, art, etc.), to finding ways of meeting each other and making friends. 

The main thing would be to get interested peopled involved and to pool information and ideas.  If anyone is interested, please send me a message so we can start talking.

Sohail

smartpatroler wrote:

I've recently moved to Athens but have a few very good Greek friends here that have inspired me to try to form some sort of English-based online community for promoting and discussing arts and culture in Athens.  Something for foreigners and Greeks alike, but without the touristy feel.

For arts and culture, Athens has a lot going for it and I don't feel many people outside Greece know about it.  A proper online community could be a good way for expats living in Athens and people visiting the city to know where to go and what to do and have ways of organizing activities, projects and events with one another: anything from attending film screenings, to participating in creative projects (filmmaking, photography, art, etc.), to finding ways of meeting each other and making friends. 

The main thing would be to get interested peopled involved and to pool information and ideas.  If anyone is interested, please send me a message so we can start talking.

Sohail

:)It sounds like a very good idea and I'll be happy to help if I can.  My name is Irini, I've been living in Athens since 1985 and I love it.

Hello, welcome to Expat.com Sohail and Dias12! :)

Hi guys,
I'm new to this site but am hoping to move back to Athens in the near future.  Yes, I think it is a great idea to have a space that like minded people can go make friends and enjoy the rich culture of a great City.

In my twenties, when I last lived in Athens there was a fabulous place called 'The Centre for Inspirational Living' behind the Hilton hotel.  I met some lovely people there, many artists and holistic therapists.  I remember they had groups who met regularly to read and discuss the book of miracles, visit art exhibitions and creative street shows & practice healing treatments.  We used to go up to Delfi and meditate at 3am in the morning for the clear vibes.  It was when my husband worked nights & slept in the day and I had just had a baby so I thought it was fabulous place to keep my creative energy going. 
Great idea,

Deblec