Convert your Canadian Driver's licence - what is the process called?

Evidently there is a process where you get your Canadian licence to the embassy and they certify them. Than you go to Santo Domingo and they convert it to a dominican licence. Does anyone know what this process is called? (In spanish please, so I know what to ask for)

I would love to hear about that but to have a Dominican driver's license you need to be a resident to the best of my knowledge.

I am a resident. Just looking for the name of the process.

Never heard of it!

If you are a resident and have your cedula, you just have to go and apply for your license here.  I am not sure of the process but someone else can chime in with details.  I believe you have to go to Santo Domingo, go for a driving test and if you pass you're done.

Why do you want to give up your Canadian lic.  Why not just get a Dominican one. Easy to get.  Here in the PP area you just go to their DMV next to the stadium afer paying your fees at Banco Reserva, get your good conduct letter from the court house accross the street, take a silly compute test and you have your temp lic.  Return a few weeks later take or maybe not take the  driver's test and get your regular lic.  (you can actually hire people to help you through the testing process)

Bob K

CHANGE OF ORIGIN (FROM A FOREIGN TO A NATIONAL DRIVER'S LICENSE)

- National ID card as a foreigner.
- Certification from the Embassy or Consulate of the country of origin stating the validity of the applicant's driving license, duly confirmed and legalized in the Dominican Foreign Ministry
- Proof of eye exam administered at the central or local DGTT offices.
- Receipt from the Banco de Reservas verifying payment of taxes and services.

abreuimmigration
Thank you.  I knew it would be time consuming and not easy to do.
I still reccomend that you just get a DR lid and keep your old one.

Bob K

So, still don't know what the process is called, but we just did it. Here's how it goes.
1. You do NOT give up your Canadian licence.
2. You DO need to be a resident.
3. You go to the Canadian Consulate and have your driver's licence certified along with a copy of your passport.
4. You go to Santo Domingo where the legal department of Transportation department to verify that everything is ok.
5. Then you get your finger pricked for blood type
6. Read a couple of letters on an eye chart
7. Get your photo taken
8. Licence given for 4 years.
Tada!

Awesome info. Thanks for the update!!!!

Thanks for the update

Bob K

Hi Johicky,

They take your Blood type? Wow, never heard of this in other countries. That's interesting. Guess the Type "O Neg" drivers are rare?  LOL. Or maybe it's for when there's a car accident they can deal with it quickly. Interestingly odd. Thanks

Scott

More important the way they drive here there should be an organ donor box to check off :D

Bob K

JoHickey wrote:

So, still don't know what the process is called, but we just did it. Here's how it goes.
1. You do NOT give up your Canadian licence.
2. You DO need to be a resident.
3. You go to the Canadian Consulate and have your driver's licence certified along with a copy of your passport.
4. You go to Santo Domingo where the legal department of Transportation department to verify that everything is ok.
5. Then you get your finger pricked for blood type
6. Read a couple of letters on an eye chart
7. Get your photo taken
8. Licence given for 4 years.
Tada!

I see this thread is from last year. Can this process be done in less than 1 week. I do have a valid Cedula.

I am pretty sure it can be done in a week Stan. Other option is to get your "learners permit" it's easy. Then next trip you get your regular license.

OK the license is good for four years but will insurance coverage be valid if your here beyond 30 days and still do not have residency?

No it will not cover you.

For the record i know of no one who has a dominican license without first having residency.

I don't know but your thinking is spot on. If one has not adjusted there turist card/visa status, there are areas of potential vulnerabilities. The courts have had people surrender their passport if involved in an accident with injuries which takes months and money not to prevail but to leave the country.
Keep covering " the downside ".
That forward thinking mindset should bring you success in your immigration process.
I hope someone else can answer your question concretely. Best of luck.

I found a link with the requirements in the following government website:

https://intrant.gob.do/index.php/servic … dominicana

The following is a Google Translate translation:

REQUIRMENTS

Be a foreigner with residence in the country.

Required documents:

1. Foreign driver's license valid at the date of the change, plus three (3) copies.

2. Certification of the diplomatic or consular mission accrediting the validity and validity of the license, legalized in Chancery or apostille by the country of origin, plus three copies.

- The schedule of certification in the Chancellery is until 2:30 pm.

3. Three (3) copies of the residence.

4. Contract or work letter.

5. Payment receipt from the Reserve Bank of the legalization of diplomatic certification and a copy.

6. Receipt of payment of taxes and services from the Reserve Bank.

YES so that means residencia.  3 copies means you have to have it. Without residencia I do not believe you can  get your Dominican License.

The government agency´s contact info and address is listed there as well in case someone would like to have a Spanish-speaking friend ask them some questions. It´s:

Tel.: 829-893-4886 Ext. 6602- 6603- 6642 | Correo: [email protected]
Dirección: Ave. Tiradentes No. 07 Ens. La Fe, Dirección de Licencias de Conducir, Santo Domingo, Rep. Dom.

Thanks Planner. Sounds like a lot of hoops to jump through.

Carry your Ca. license at all times. If pulled over  or stopped at a check point, show the Ca. one. You'l look like a tourist, speak no Spanish. You will slide, no problem.  Any infraction or accident, show the DR one.  Feigned tourist ignorance works most of the time. Asked for papers, ' in the hotel. Then of course, a smile & 200 pesos works wonders.  Always carry 200 pesos in separate pocket ready for just such a situation.  Hopefully the occasion shall never arise.

Again the issue is an accident or a serious infraction. That will not work - your insurance is invalid if your.license is not legal here.

Planner is as usual, correct. She & BobK are the most astute of us when it comes to factual information.  Many others contribute valuable info also, Read everyones posts. Oft times hidden gems will pop up to help us all on our way.

Tje whole process takes a couple of hours.

You cannot get a Dominican licence unless you have residency.

:D:D:D

I am expecting to arrive in SD in about 10 days time. Can someone recommend a local lawyer or someone who is familiar with obtaining a DR drivers license. I am on a short time table and it is critical to have complete the process as fast as possible.
My own lawyer who has been mentioned on the forum before cannot even bother to reply to my inquiries.

Yuderca Frias Gonzalas
WhatsApp ***
She did our driver's license.

Moderated by Priscilla 5 years ago
Reason : please communicate all personal details in private

Thanks, does she speak English.