Paying bills in Italy

Hello everyone,

What bills do you pay? If you are renting, are bills included in the price of rent, and is this common practice in Italy?

How can you pay your bills (e.g. online, at provider's store, at the post office)? Which is the most convenient or reliable way?

With what frequency are different bills sent in Italy? Are there different deadlines for payment?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

So, when renting sometimes the bills can be included, but the majority of times you have to cover the gas and electricity, as well as the internet if it isn't already installed. It is very common for Italians to provide you with the least amount of stuff and jack the rental price very high, but for a two person household I currently spend ~60 euro for electricity bi-monthly, and gas is about the same, paid about twice a year.

Bills can be payed at the post office (for an extra 1.50 euro commission) or online through the companies website, which is also easier and more convenient. The deadline is usually a month after the date the bill is created, however, the postal service is very slow and sometimes I have received bills with about a week to be paid. Also, the majority of companies now allow direct debit (as in, straight out of your bank account) which is even simpler, but given the bureaucratic ineptitude of Italy as a country, i don't trust any Italian company with that amount of information regarding my financial institution.

I don't know much about renting but I know for sure that most bills arrive once every two months and can be paid directly at the post office or online using a posta pay card (also referred to as a prepaid card)

Cash....only cash.  Don't trust any Italian company...or any Italian person...who won't accept cash.   North Italy is notorious for wanting contracts documents, etc.  They are obsessed with idiotic bureaucracy.  Anyone asks you for a contract...tell where they can put their piece of paper.   South Italy is far more accomodating.