Business opportunities

Hi,

About me, visited Brazil multiple times over the past 20 years and have lots of friends in all parts of Brazil. Now I want to invest in some business opportunities where it could create some jobs for some of my not so well off friends and locals. But I was wondering what are some of the experiences people had and what i should not get into. I am happy if the business makes enough to pay the employees, even if it did well, it will be reinvested into it.
Any ideas and suggestions are welcome.

PS: there is no business category , so put this in Work category.

Cheers
Jeewaka

Hello Jeewaka,

You need to be extremely careful when in Brazil. Local labor laws are absurd. Legal system is really slow and inefficient. There is no sense of justice for business investors here. Have been here from past 3 years and this is what was my experience.

Jurisdiction here takes forever and no real responsibility is taken by anyone. Corruption is an issue here which can cause investors from backing out.

If you are to create a business, then you will need to learn the business while operating in Brazil.  That being said, it meant....

1.Eat crow and get a job in a business that has similiarities or likeness to what you intend to start.

2.Learn the Mores, Language, Accounting Practices.

3.Get a hard nosed accountant, if you can find an Indian , with the surname Patel, chances are you will be in good hands. 

4.Depending upon the region where your business is based, and not all fill the stereotype, assume for all intents and purposes that

a.Accountability is low
b.Work ethic may vary.
c. People live for the holidays and weekends here. 
d. Assume theft and spillage, in many shapes and forms, to take place. Either get a good hands on manager, or simply be the manager.
e.Brazilians talk a good game when it comes to self bragging.  Be an observant first, and listener second.