NIE Sign-Up Problems: Self-Employed

Hi all,

I am having some problems signing up as self-employed in Spain and wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience and/or has a solution.

My original plan was to obtain an NIE number using the EX-15 form, then sign up at the Hacienda, Social Security, etc, before returning to the Comisaría to submit the EX-18 UE Certficate form.

I submitted the EX-15 form but it came back a week later as rejected. The reason was that if I wanted the NIE to do anything related to work then as an EU citizen I had to complete the EX-18 form. The problem, of course, is that I can't comply with the conditions of the EX-18 form because without an NIE it is impossible to sign up as self-employed with the Hacienda.

I went to the Hacienda to see if they had a solution but they weren't able to help. If an NIE application is in process (i.e. submitted but not yet received), then they can provide a temporary NIF to get things moving. But as my application had been rejected and wasn't therefore "in process," they couldn't.

So I am now a bit stuck and unsure how to proceed, as I can't really afford to pay for a year's medical insurance just to meet the conditions as a person without work but with sufficient means to support myself. And, even if I could, there must be a better way of doing it given that such insurance will be unnecessary once I'm signed up with Social Security and contributing.

My only idea is to return to the Comisaria with the EX-15 form and put down a reason other than anything work related as to why I want the number. The problem is that I know I will be required to provide evidence as to the reason I give. Is wanting to open a bank account a strong enough reason given that it is possible to open one without a NIE (with passport)? Does anyone have any recent experience with this kind of thing?

Sorry for the essay! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Being an Eu citizen then just say you need a NIE to open a bank account.
To open a bank account you will need 6.000€.
When you have moved to Spain and obtained a permanent residential address you can then register on the Padrón.
Healthcare, you have to be insured. To obtain entry into the Spanish public health system form the UK you will have to have an S1form. You maybe be able to pay a reduced amount. I have read that some areas allow this others do not. Or go self-employed in Spain.
I have never heard of a temporary NIE as the fiscal numbers are given for life, Spaniard or not.
EX15 form explanation

Thanks for your reply.

What I was referring to isn't a temporary NIE but a temporary NIF. Obviously your NIF is usually your NIE but there exists the possibility for the Hacienda to provide a temporary NIF if you have applied for a NIE but need to get started, in employment or to register as self-employed, prior to receiving the number.

The first time I went in, I said that I needed to get a NIE to open a bank account and was told that wasn't a valid reason and I could just use a passport to do that. Hence me returning a week later saying that I needed the NIE to sign up as self-employed. My form was accepted that time, only to come back as rejected as described above.

I wouldn't have to pay for private medical insurance if I was able to obtain a NIE, sign up as self-employed and start contributing to Social Security before making my application for temporary residency as an EU citizen. It is only because I am unable to sign up as self-employed due to my inability to get a NIE using the EX-15 form that I find myself in a position of potentially needing private medical insurance to apply.

Then you should ask a good gestoria, as you will need one when you go self employed as there are many more levels of self employment than in the UK and you need to set up one that suits your activities to help you with administration, tax forms etc.

Agreed, you need to employ a good gestoria/business accountant to set you up with all the paperwork required for self-employed, they will also be able to assist in your registration of NIE, residencia, how you do your accounts, taxes, social security payments, etc. The process is not straight foward and requires to be done correctly.

Daveunt

Can you please up date us so that we may learn from your experience.

Thanks
John

Hi John,

I have finally completed the process, so this can perhaps act as a guide for those who are unable to easily obtain a NIE through the EX-15 form.

- First, I went to the Comisaria with the EX-15 form completed. I told them that I wanted to register as self-employed but needed evidence that I had requested a NIE in order for the Hacienda to issue me a temporary NIF to facilitate the process. They told me to write: "Para tramitar la alta en la hacienda" in the motivo section on the reverse of the form, stamped it to confirm receipt and kept a copy for themselves.

- Secondly, I went to the Hacienda. You cannot make an appointment without first having a NIE, so I just used my girlfriend's number to make it. I presented them with the stamped EX-15 form from the Hacienda and said that I needed to obtain a temporary NIF to sign on as self-employed. He used Modelo 030 to assign me a temporary NIF and then signed me on as self-employed using the simplified Modelo 037.

- Finally, I returned to the Comisaria with the stamped copy of my initial EX-15 form, a completed EX-18 form, a copy of the stamped Modelo 037 confirming that I'd signed on as self-employed, Tasa payment confirmation and passport copies. Everything was processed there and then and I received my NIE number and card.

Now I just need to sign on with social security and obtain a digital certificate to do accounts online and I'm all ready to go. Finally!!

Thanks for the information.
I am sure it will be of help to someone here.
Glad it was sorted out, even if you had a few catch 22 situations. :/