Buying a car in Brazil

I'm an American man married to a Brazilian woman. I now permanently reside in Brazil as of February 2017 and I've decided I'd like to get a car. I live in Abadiania, Goias which is a very small town, but I'd probably be looking to purchase something either in Goiania or Brasilia. Although I have a limited budget, I would prefer something new. Small and fuel efficient is also ok, and I'm not interested in expensive perks. I just want something affordable and reliable to get around in. I have an account with Itau and I believe I should be able to finance the car through them. My wife has not been a car owner or driver for many years, but she favors Renault -- a car that I know absolutely nothing about. I'm planning to exchange my USA driver's license for a Brazilian driver's license sometime during the next few weeks. After I get my Brazilian driver's license, we plan to start looking at cars. I'm open to any and all helpful suggestions. Thanks.

My advice is what you just stated. Something simple. If you get something expensive someone may want to take it from you.

Jim

General motors cars like the Corsa are the most popular classic and reliable.
I wouldn't worry to much about an expensive car been a target unless you plan to live in Rio or drive around in the Favela.....all my relatives have landrover and other expensive cars without issue

By the why you don't exchange the license, you still keep your old one

We live in Vitoria and they take cars here every day. As far as your license, they do take it. If you do not surrender your foreign license then you will have to do driving school and take written and driving test.

Jim

never took my license, maybe times have changed, got a 10 yrar brazilin and didn't surrender anything....also victoria is as bad if not worse than rio

Times have changed. They do take your license in exchange. There is now a law that requires it. Yes, Vitoria is Dangerous in some parts. I doubt not as dangerous as Rio.

Jim

since when I did my exchange in 2016 .....they claimed the law existed then too, but no one ever showed any interest in my old license...

williamdeep,

Here are are the cars with the cheapest maintenance in Brazil per year. I have ten in my notes but for simplicity I´ll give you the top 5 in chronological order:

1. Hyundai HB20/S 1.0 - R$1.625,41
2. Toyota Etios 1.3 & 1.5 - R$1.635
3. Hyundai HB20/S/X 1.6 - R$1.756,37
4. Nissan March/Versa 1.6 - R$1.794
5. Nissan March 1.0 - R$1.898

If you don´t like to switch gears (stick swift), I would recommend the CVT transmission
(continuos variable transmission) from Nissan March. Even with a 1.0liter is enough in
city driving because it accelerates like stick if not better. For better performance I would go for the 1.6. Nissan is the cheaper of the Japanese brands but also reliable and the one in Brazil is a partnership of Nissan(Japanese) and Renault (French).

I drive a Toyota, but any of the above would be ok.

Oh, Vitoria, Espirito Santo and Rio exchange places as the most violent places in Brazil. There are times Vitoria is worst. Sorry Jim...

robal

robal wrote:

williamdeep,

Here are are the cars with the cheapest maintenance in Brazil per year. I have ten in my notes but for simplicity I´ll give you the top 5 in chronological order:

1. Hyundai HB20/S 1.0 - R$1.625,41
2. Toyota Etios 1.3 & 1.5 - R$1.635
3. Hyundai HB20/S/X 1.6 - R$1.756,37
4. Nissan March/Versa 1.6 - R$1.794
5. Nissan March 1.0 - R$1.898

robal

Robal,

What do the R$ numbers in your post signify? Cost of maintenance?

Don't forget the yearly taxes, both our cars are 6 plus years old. One cost R$1560 and the other is R$2000 this year. The cost does go down year to year depending on value. It can be 3 payments over 3 months. Or one lump sum.

williamdeep,

It´s the cost of maintenance per year, assuming you bought new. Remember that in Brazil, the decimal point is like a comma in English. So the R$1.625,41 would be
R$1,625.41 in English (one thousand six hundred twenty five reais and forty one cents)...

robal

To sum it all up the ff. are the responsibilities of the owner:

1. Payment of the IPVA (tax of owning the car) paid initially and then renewed yearly (easier through a despachante) . An aliquota of 3.75% of the value of the car in Goias in your case. Assuming the value of the car is R$40,000:

Then: 40,000 x .0375 = 1,500reais (IPVA to be paid). Click the link to further clarify.

http://g1.globo.com/goias/noticia/2016/ … goias.html

2. If you´re going to finance it, I´m sure the bank will require you to pay the insurance.

3. Of course your yearly maintenance as I outlined above.

We are at a "golden age" of automobile manufacturing, so automobile technology with its advanced
additives and lubrificants would contribute to a car´s life of about 14 years average.

Good luck and happy motoring!

robal

Don't be sorry. It's not my problem. When Vitoria is mentioned it's Greater Vitoria. It's made up of 5 cities. Vitoria, Serra,  Vila Vehla, Cariosica, and Viana. Serra and Vila Vehla are the 2 dangerous ones. We still have to be careful.

I recieved my Brazilian License in April of 2017 and did not have to show or turn in my Alaska License, I'm in Para State, also the my Drivers License is "Alaska State Property "  to the best of my knowlege.....jus chiming in...
I will be looking to purchase a "Semi-Nova aka Used Car in 2019 upon my return from the US (yup gonna see what's going on/lol) anyway if anyone has recently financed or bought a vehicle here in Beautiful Brazil contact me by PM and I need details of the purchase and info on the "Hazards of Financing or Buying a car in Brazil...just the facts .......

Alascana

I'm glad they let you keep your license. I know many who had to turn theirs in. Maybe it became too much of a hassle and they stopped doing it or the person who you dealt with forgot.

jim