Moving to Bangkok with a large family

Hi, looking for any people who have moved or know people who moved to Bangkok with a large (more than 2 kids) family.

I've got a heap of questions about schools, transportation and where to live!

Whilst waiting for replies take the time to read through the many informative posts here on the forum for information.

I would first look at school cost for children at international schools because its not cheap.

Link below has list of schools in Thailand including location.

http://www.isat.or.th/schools

Thanks @Straydog. We've looked through the list and it's pretty difficult to go through comprehensively. I'm aware of the costs but I find that a social reference is often the best way of finding good schools.

I'm browsing through the posts in this forum. However, contextually someone in a similar position as ourselves would be really useful. I haven't met or seen anyone so far who is in Bangkok with more than 2 children. Logistics are quite different...

I would suggest that the best places to look for answers to your specific needs would be your embassy and whichever entity is providing employment or motivation for you coming to Thailand.  I can't imagine you getting by without a van and a large rented house.

Personally I do not know anyone in a similar situation.  I have know people who produced large families with their Thai partners but none who have moved here with a large number of farang kids in tow.

NIST has an extremely high reputation. The founder was dissatisfied with the other intl schools and started his own with the best of the best. Check them out. How many kids are there in your household, by the way? Sometimes multi kid discounts apply :)
Also, many have their kids at the Lycee Francais. It's 1/3 the cost and excellent and if your kids are young, its a great way to become multi-lingual as well as having strong academics. Just a thought.

We have 3 children who are in (lower) elementary school. NIST does look very good. Though the cost (roughly) x3 starts to make the eye water! I'll have a look at Lycee Francais. Thank you Paintergal!

If you or if you know of someone who has first hand experience with children in NIST and willing to give some insight into what it is like, please let me know.

If you want to get feedback from parents (and the students) about a particular school, just go there at school closing time and mingle.  Parents will be happy to tell you their impressions, and hopefully the kids' commentaries will match up.
I will say, though, that at the Lycée, the kids have to start fairly young as it's ALL in French - and it will be asked why the French school.  Having support at home (one of the parents speaking French, or a French au pair, for example) would be important.  Depending upon when the school term starts in Thailand, you may have the advantage of having the kids get French immersion at a camp or kids course beforehand.  Call the French Consulate for info.

P.S.
    FYI, we had three kids (2 boys, 1 girl) and we got around just fine in a Renault 5 when they were younger.  The Lycée was perfect for them (we were in diplomatic life, so it was the best choice for us - our kids grew up tri-lingual).
Important is: where you live and proximity to schools, work, shops, hospital.   I mention hospital not to scare you but in Thailand most doctors have offices within a hospital.

Thanks Paintergal. That's very good to know. We lived in Brussels some time ago and my wife can speak French fairly well. I'm ashamed that I didn't really learn any French myself... We do have a soft spot for things French so Lycee Francais is a interesting possibility.

Do you think getting around in taxis with 3 little people is difficult?

Jeremy, NIST is a good school and there are French lessons there as 2nd language. You may want to check Bangkok Pattana at Soi Bearing. Many different nationalities study in these schools, thus picking up another language is much easier.

I don't know about Lycee school. Best to have answers is the French Embassy. You need to consider if your kids are accepted to the next level in the school when you move back home.

To my knowledge, most expats kids goes back home for their University as none here could meet their country's standard of education.

I lived in Brussels 9 years :)
As long as one parent can speak French and can be supportive, it would work. But if you are interested, I would encourage you to contact the school to see the requirements - and maybe you both go to the school to ask questions, maybe get some advice and so on. There may be a van or little bus the school sends out to collect students - I don't know.
   (My kids are grown now, have families - 2 doctors and one PhD. So, you see, the Lycee education is quite strong.)  If you choose an international school I'm sure it would offer quality, too.  You may get some discount for 3 kids at one school; you might get some financial support from your employer.
Dont forget, you can call Uber.....it's like having a driver and car at your disposal.

P.S.
      I didn't ask you if you plan to be in BKK a long time - or if it's just for a few years.  Since you mentioned Brussels, I assume you move around in your profession. There is a Lycee in every capital, more or less, and that gives continuity (same texts, same method, same tests, same handwriting style). But if you will go back to the USA after a few years, for example, then there are very few Lycees there....so, some research ahead for you.

Thanks for your replies Paintergal and Rejoice.  They have been very useful. Camping outside the school gates is actually an excellent idea...!

Yes we tend to move around a fair bit. We will commit to Bangkok for a few years. It sounds like buying a car is a better idea if we were to stay for longer than a year.

Car:  if you are in BKK the traffic is so bad its actually one big, moving jam.
Already in 2008 I had to get out of my car (I employed a driver) and went on the Skytrain to be on time for an appointment. Another time I had a speaking engagement and the car did not move more than 15 inches in one entire hour. I got out and took a motorscooter taxi so I could be on time. My driver got there more than an hour and a half later.
Normally the red lights in BKK last 20 minutes each. No joke. I don't know what they are now, but the traffic certainly didn't improve over the years!
If your home and school (& office) are near Skytrain stations, it's really your best bet if you want to be on time getting anywhere. (In addition, if the Royals travel anywhere, all roads are blocked til they have passed through.)
  In London, I had the kids' nanny take them to school via subway ("tube") and she fetched them, as well.
In Vienna, my kids were old enough to take the streetcar back and forth.
If you're American, there's an American Womens Club in BKK which could offer you tips/advice/suggestions re: almost everything...nannies, health questions, schools...

Hi Jeremy,

Im not sure if you already found all  what you needed to know about moving to Bangkok.

Also we can recommend you school but dependson the profile/programse each school offers, location where will your office be, then you can choose a school can be in between your residence and office.

Anyway if you need any help let us know happy to help...

Best
Mirela. Maduro

Moderated by Christine 6 years ago
Reason : promoting freely your services is not allowed on the forum
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct