Visa information

Hello  i am moving to belize next week and was looking on informaton on how do i get my 30 day visa with out a return ticked in advance?   Im moving with a driend5 but im going in advance to find us a place to rent abd she will fallow in 2 weeks.  I understand i need to renew my visa every 30 days just didnt want to buy a return flight if i dont plan on returning to usa anytime soon.   Any info would be greatly appreciated.

For the last three years I have bought only a one way ticket on Southwest to BZE, as I never know for sure my return date. I know some airlines price their fares less when you buy a round trip rather than two one way tickets, Southwest prices their fares by the leg.

The entry visa good for 30 days is a stamp put into your passport by Belize immigration when you enter the country. I make 2-3 trips a year to my place in Placencia. For Belize, I have never been been asked about a return ticket by anyone.

There is already a current thread on Belize visas in this forum, I suggest you read through it for more information.  :)

Passport/Tourist Card                                                                                             
With a valid passport, you can stay in Belize for up to 30 days. In addition, if you wish to stay
longer, you can simply obtain an extension for up to six months for US$25 per month; after
six months, the cost increases to US$50 per month. The extension may be obtained at a
government immigration office or a police station in a remote area. Please note that your
passport must be valid up until the time of your departure.
(Belize is also a CARICOM member.)

Thank you.   For the info i will but did not find  the answer i looked for.

A lot depends on the person in immigration some will just stamp and you will pay your fee. Others may  ask for you forward plans, including a return ticket, and proof of solvency. you can get that proof by using a local ATM to get cash from your US account just show the receipt as it will have your remaining balance on it. The lack of ticket  can be skirted probably most truthfully by saying you are looking at properties with a view of applying for residency, so cannot produce a return ticket yet as you do not know how long it will take , and leaving to soon  would impeed your 12 months stay  within Belize to allow your application if or when your decision is made.
Belize clerical staff are most helpful if you afford them the respect and deference they believe there status deserves. Asking them Questions you know they will know the answer to is a good thing.

So, the airline does sometimes give people trouble for not having a return ticket. Immigration does not ever give anyone real hassle about this. They may give you a hard time if they're in a pissy mood, but I've never heard it f them not letting someone in or forcing someone to leave.
As far as airlines, some will let it slide. Others are not so nice. I got a manager to override for me. I know of others who have had to buy the ticket and do the 24 hour refund thing.

I am curious as to the name of the airline(s) that require one to travel internationally on a round trip ticket on their own airline. Having traveled internationally extensively since 1967 from-to the USA by various combinations of airlines, countries, modes of transportation, routes. I have never had to show the departing US airline I had a return ticket.

If I were asked about it, I do not recall having to show my method of return to the USA. Good thing too, as many times I did not have one, or even know how I was getting back on the day I left the USA.  :D

Now I was grilled one time on my return by US immigration at DFW to explain my last minute one way ticket. This was 2 days after the 2005 London bombings so the whole world was on high alert. I had missed boarding my Amsterdam to Orlando flight on MartinAir, So was forced to buy a last minute ticket from an online consolidator via an Internet Cafe in Amsterdam. flying through London Gatwick to get back in time for work. :dumbom:

I'm not sure if its true of other countries, but I know that Panamanian law requires all visitors to the country have a ticket for return, or onward travel, upon entering the country. This means airlines wont sell you a one way ticket into Panama because you would be refused entry and they could end up being forced to fly you out of there for free.

If an airline questions it it is usually about entry to the US by a non citizen, or legal resident . Flying into the US needs a return ticket or onward proof for anyone on the visa waiver scheme and/or using ESTA. The Airlines virtually do the 'policing' for Immigration inso far as, if they let you fly in  on a one way ticket and Immigration at the other end say no to entry  the Airline is on the hook to fly you home at their expense.                     Brittish Airways once refused to let me use my return ticket from UK to CA because my UK passport had been stolen in California  just before we left,  and I was using  my Irish Passport, My Visa was stamped in the uk one.  BA sold me a return ticket in the US on the Irish passport, but on return they would not accept the paperwork that we had been given by the US embassy to prove I had a visa. Quite adamant and insisting I was traveling Ilegally.  So I Crossed to American Airlines with same info and irish passport I was able to buy a one way ticket from them as they happily accepted the embassy letter as proof.    Ironicaly  I then got on the same  Code share Brittish airways flight with the rest of the family. It took weeks to get the refund from BA for the unused ticket. Have not used BA in the 14 years since.

Most countries have that rule, including Belize. I know of people who found out at the airport trying to leave, one with 4 kids. Like I said, they tried to pull it with me going into Honduras from the US. I pitched a fit and got the manager to see my point of view. The law is that you are supposed to have proof of moving on within 30 days. It's absurd, especially since you have to be here for 12 months before applying for residency. But, you know, absurd is totally the norm.

I guess I have just been lucky...

Most of us have. It only happened that one time, but it was when I was moving down, and I was in no mood to be trifled with. She picked a fight with the wrong mama that morning.

I found this article https://expertvagabond.com/proof-of-onward-travel/ that adds a bit more info to what has been discussed here, and some interesting suggestions with links to websites for "How To Get Proof Of Onward Travel".

Some of the suggestions will work, and another is well...way too dicy to seriously consider.  :o

All in all interesting reading.