Altitude Sickness

Just read an article on www.NewScience.com about a new drug tested to fight the effects of altitude on the brain.  The drug is Oxiracetam, tested on Chinese who normally lived at 1,800 meters.  The group was given three doses a day, took 3 days to climb to 4,000 meters and then tests were made concerning their cognitive abilities compared to their scores at 1,800 meters.  Those who took the drug only tested slightly lower than at the lower altitudes, while those who did not take the drug scored much lower.  More blood gets to the brain, partly because the drug is a mild stimulant.  It was compared to people of the Andes chewing coca leaves for the same reason, but Oxiracetam is supposed to be milder.  Nothing was mentioned about headaches or other reactions to higher elevations.  Anyone ever hear of Oxiracetam being available in Ecuador or any other South American countries?

I haven't, and it's interesting that you brought up coca leaves because several months ago I read about a visiting dignitary who suffered from altitude sickness and was given cocoa leaf tea to remedy the symptoms. Perhaps similarly to the FDA some of these South American countries approve a drug only after a lot of data has been complied on the effects and side-effects.

So considering that both stimulate blood flow can we conclude that coffee is highly beneficial in high altitude because it also improves blood circulation.

I had heard previously about the tea, drinking coffee and also taking aspirin for high altitude headaches.  Of course the aspirin also has caffeine.   Might be more to it than a mere stimulant, otherwise we might be talking amphetamines or meth.

Altitude sickness is truly odd in who it affects. The only treatment I received was oxygen and they raised my levels to high 90s, and ever since my oxygen level has been mid to high 90s. So for me it was a one off thing or actually a couple of weeks of malaise. For others it's a continuing thing in which they sometimes feel out of breath. I know an expat who has lived here for 6 years here and he said it happens to him occasionally. Then there are others whose bodies for whatever reason simply can't acclimate, and it greatly decreases their quality of life. 

What's a fact is that altitude sickness can affect anyone regardless of age,or physical fitness as this article states.

I have visited Quito quite a few times, never staying more than a couple of days.  Not including my layovers for flights and travel.  It doesn't always affect me, which is weird but when it does I start to feel dizzy and shortness of breath and chest constrictions.  Almost like a panic attack.  I can also feel it more especially if I have a glass of wine.  We did spend extended time right outside of cotacotchi and I had no problems at all, even hiking.  So not sure if it depends on weather conditions or pressure or what.  But I wish Quito wasn't so highly elevated and cold, cause I would love to live there.

Your in one of the most elevated cities in South America. It was hard for me at first as well. So I moved to Manabi - sea level. No problems. Stay healthy and watch your weight.

Something rather unfortunate and odd occurred yesterday in Mexico City during a half marathon. Two male marathoners aged 59 and 62 died of apparent heart attack. One of the men died with 1 kilometer to the finish line.

Now, you might wonder what does this have to do with Ecuador. And the answer fellow expats is – altitude. Mexico City's elevation is about 2250 meters above sea-level, and Quito is about 2850.

At an elevation of around 2850 meters this means we have about 30% less oxygen than sea-level according to online information. 30% is significant so accept this reality and listen to your body while running or doing other forms of cardio exercise.

Just move back to Daytona and everything will be ok!