P.R. A.M. - P.M.

Good to hear Elcalipocho.  I saw photos of Crash boat, it looked like it was totally trashed.  The bar and restaurant were wiped out, not much left of it or anything.

We have friends in that area, they faired ok.   We return to Hatillo at the end of the month for a few days, hope the power is back on by then.

Sitka,
Thanks for the message.
I hope your trip goes smoothly and hopefully you get to enjoy yourself a little while you are working on your place.

Once I get place fixed up.
Besides staying for vacations, I plan to occasionally telecommute from there for a couple weeks at a time throughout the year.

Two months after Maria today. More than 50% of the island is still without power. Around 90% has water but it's not safe for consumption. Boiling order. What if you have an electric range?

Gary wrote:

Two months after Maria today. More than 50% of the island is still without power. Around 90% has water but it's not safe for consumption. Boiling order. What if you have an electric range?

We had an electric rage but it broke since our house was under water for hours.
We are cooking on a camping gas stove we already had for emergencies.
No electricity in our house yet and nobody working in our neighbourhood since Maria!

We are in loiza, ne electricity,  barely any water. We have a gas burner, sterno and a grill

No power here, either but we have the generator. We run it  a couple of hours in the morning and then from like 5 PM to 10. 
We cook on propane so that's no problem.

Water came back last Tuesday but we still buy drinking water from a commercial well in the area. They have been up and running ever since a couple of days after the storm and, contrary to many others, they kept their very reasonable prices. We pay 50 cts for a gallon refill and $2 for a 5-gallon bottle refill. 

Since a couple of days at night we see streetlights down in the valley, along the road from San Lorenzo to Las Piedras. From there 'our' electricity is supposed to come so there is some hope. :)

Gary wrote:

No power here, either but we have the generator. We run it  a couple of hours in the morning and then from like 5 PM to 10. 
We cook on propane so that's no problem.

Water came back last Tuesday but we still buy drinking water from a commercial well in the area. They have been up and running ever since a couple of days after the storm and, contrary to many others, they kept their very reasonable prices. We pay 50 cts for a gallon refill and $2 for a 5-gallon bottle refill. 

Since a couple of days at night we see streetlights down in the valley, along the road from San Lorenzo to Las Piedras. From there 'our' electricity is supposed to come so there is some hope. :)

:top::top::top:

So happy for you. I know in our old neighborhood, they have had water on and off.  But our immediate neighbors(we lived in a family compound of 4 houses ) and they still have no power.  We couldn't stay in our house with the roof of the entire front of the house leaking. I was so afraid of catching pneumonia or get sick from the mold.  Besides, our daughter insisted that we leave so hey whatever she wanted, right? Seriously, I could not see the light at the end of the tunnel.  Very glad with our decision . The only thing that we have to deal with is living with family until we get our own place and all their habits. But we are here safe and sound, thank God.  I pray for everyone over there every night that they all get water and power.  Take care,

Tonie

It's still two steps forward, one backward. We had water for a week and then it was disconnected again. I guess something with the generator that runs the pumps. Meanwhile it's back after almost a week.
No sign of power being restored in our area.
But we're surviving OK with generator and cisterns.
Now if some work would surface things would really get better...

Gary wrote:

It's still two steps forward, one backward. We had water for a week and then it was disconnected again. I guess something with the generator that runs the pumps. Meanwhile it's back after almost a week.
No sign of power being restored in our area.
But we're surviving OK with generator and cisterns.
Now if some work would surface things would really get better...

At least you were able to fill cisterns again when the water was on.

ReyP wrote:

Yeah, made me feel really good... :/

Gary wrote:
ReyP wrote:

Yeah, made me feel really good... :/

I am sooo glad that I will be leaving next week. I really feel you and it is frustrading.
my husband told me long time ago that he was without water and electricity 3 month after Hurricane Georg and I never thought that I could survive such a long time without electricity! I am surprised by myself lol!
Not having running water is for sure the worst part, I never thought that.
I think it is just horrible that water comes and goes and you never know when it is going to happen.
I never had the feeling of living in a third world country as often as I did in the last 2 years.
it's going backward not forward, my feeling.
Yesterday AEE showed up in our street to check who has electricity and who has not.
They didn't tell us when we will ger a new pole.....

Yeah, I was a little sarcastic but after 10 weeks I'm slowly getting tired of all this.
Something positive is that today a team from the municipality Juncos arrived with a heavy excavator. They've been working on our property and will be back tomorrow, removing trees and bamboo that have forever been in the way of a high voltage line that crosses our property.
They have been clearing under lines in our area for days. Hopefully when they're done they (AEE or contractors) will start working on the lines.

Marion Olga, I think you're right about things getting worse over the last years. The negative effects of the financial crisis are visible everywhere, be it in the electrical grid, the roads, the water system, you name it.
Maybe the cleanup after the hurricane marks a new beginning and repairs and installing new lines and poles are being done the way it's supposed to be. At least the clearing efforts of the Juncos crew are pretty good!
Still, especially with your scary experience, I understand that you're through with PR. At least in Germany you'll be in  one of the world's top three countries with the least blackouts (The Netherlands is up there, too) When I tell people here that during the 13 years I lived in Germany I didn't experience one blackout and that I don't even remember when I had one in The Netherlands they hardly believe me. ;)

Gary wrote:

Yeah, I was a little sarcastic but after 10 weeks I'm slowly getting tired of all this.
Something positive is that today a team from the municipality Juncos arrived with a heavy excavator. They've been working on our property and will be back tomorrow, removing trees and bamboo that have forever been in the way of a high voltage line that crosses our property.
They have been clearing under lines in our area for days. Hopefully when they're done they (AEE or contractors) will start working on the lines.

Marion Olga, I think you're right about things getting worse over the last years. The negative effects of the financial crisis are visible everywhere, be it in the electrical grid, the roads, the water system, you name it.
Maybe the cleanup after the hurricane marks a new beginning and repairs and installing new lines and poles are being done the way it's supposed to be. At least the clearing efforts of the Juncos crew are pretty good!
Still, especially with your scary experience, I understand that you're through with PR. At least in Germany you'll be in  one of the world's top three countries with the least blackouts (The Netherlands is up there, too) When I tell people here that during the 13 years I lived in Germany I didn't experience one blackout and that I don't even remember when I had one in The Netherlands they hardly believe me. ;)

He he he!
3 years ago when I was in Germany to visit I was at my parents house when we had a thunderstorm. The light went out and I was like, wowww, now I feel like I am in Puerto Rico!
My parents found out after a while that only their house didn't have electricity and they checked everything. They found out that is was a blackout from a cable that was connected outside at the patio. So no real blackout like here lol!

I am happy people are working on trees and stuff but to be honest, why not do that before hurricane season, the whole year around! Instead they are playing Domino and wait for a blackout! I am so sick of how people work here. Especially government employees.
Everything will grow up fast and they have to maintain it. Let's see if that will happen!
Why not put the cables who are already down in the ground instead of waiting for poles??
The system with the poles in the air are so out if time!

I soo hope for all the people that stay here that things will change for the better and that no desaster will occur next year.

Gary, I also am so sorry that you have lost water again. that is also one of the reasons why we left, water one day and then nothing and also no power since the hurricane.  Hopefully it comes back soon,

Marion Olga, I can understand your frustration with the system there in PR,, it drove me nuts.  Everything is so bureacratic and to tell you the truth, it is like they say in Spanish "Si no tiene Padrino, no se bautiza" which means that if you have no godfather, you will not get baptized.  Basically you have to know somebody to get anything done.  We also ran into that alot when we were opening the kiosko.  So we are here in Fla. now and hopefully won't have so much hassel with  things. I have a dr.'s appt on Tuesday for 830am and hopefully will get in then not have to wait 5 hours to see a dr. Whatever you decide to do, good luck.  I will certainly go back to visit once mostly everything is back to normal but don't see myself living there again. I know that was my hubbys wish to spend the rest of his life there, but God had other plans for us. Even if it was just to be able to be closer to our kids.

Gary, I still pray every night for everyone there and that you all get power and water soon. Take care, Tonie

A lot of houses have trees along the street side property line. They let them grow wild and end up tangled up in the power lines. In my opinion, the owners should be fined if the electric company has to trim them away from the lines, this will likely end that practice. The electric company is supposed to clear those branches year round away regardless if the trees are in public or private areas but they dont do it too often, just like the rest of the maintenance that they rarely do.

I say fine the owners 200 buck a month if they dont do their duty to keep trees away from power lines.

burring the lines is a big issue, it requires multiple government agencies to work together which is not very likely to occur often, since the line into the ground means tearing up sidewalks, streets and private property land to burry it all the way to the house.

tonie064 wrote:

Gary, I also am so sorry that you have lost water again. that is also one of the reasons why we left, water one day and then nothing and also no power since the hurricane.  Hopefully it comes back soon,

Marion Olga, I can understand your frustration with the system there in PR,, it drove me nuts.  Everything is so bureacratic and to tell you the truth, it is like they say in Spanish "Si no tiene Padrino, no se bautiza" which means that if you have no godfather, you will not get baptized.  Basically you have to know somebody to get anything done.  We also ran into that alot when we were opening the kiosko.  So we are here in Fla. now and hopefully won't have so much hassel with  things. I have a dr.'s appt on Tuesday for 830am and hopefully will get in then not have to wait 5 hours to see a dr. Whatever you decide to do, good luck.  I will certainly go back to visit once mostly everything is back to normal but don't see myself living there again. I know that was my hubbys wish to spend the rest of his life there, but God had other plans for us. Even if it was just to be able to be closer to our kids.

Gary, I still pray every night for everyone there and that you all get power and water soon. Take care, Tonie

You nailed it.  And I don't think you will have to wait 5 hours! 😀  that is one thing thst I hated most here! In Germany you get an appointment and within latest 30 Min. you will see the Doctor!

All the best for you!

Yes, "Si no tiene(s) Padrino, no se bautiza"  is  thoroughly Latin American. In Mexico, I cultivated padrinos like you would cultivate carrots for rabbits. So, no different in PR. And for U.S. citizens thankful for short waits for medical appointments...better take a close look at the proposed tax plan if you're on Medicare, which, along with Medicaid and OBcare will all be cut, meaning the reimbursements will be so low, MDs will not see you at all or some high-priced treatments, i.e., chemo, will be unavailable.  I'm just detecting from this forum that even PR long-timers are ready to cut bait, as in enough is enough. Do you get the impression that PR is on its own, right along with the USVI?

I think PR is going thru a dificult process at the moment and the government missteps and the politiquería is killing it and will need to build credibility. But long run I think we will end up better than we where before.

ReyP wrote:

I think PR is going thru a dificult process at the moment and the government missteps and the politiquería is killing it and will need to build credibility. But long run I think we will end up better than we where before.

I admire your optimism but to be completely honest I don't see how PR is going to end up better than before. It's not only the damage of the hurricane, there's also the mega debt for which there's no solution in sight. Because of all that many are leaving and businesses won't re-open. The economy, which already was in a bad state, is taking a huge blow and I think we haven't seen the worst yet.

Marion-Olga wrote:

Why not put the cables who are already down in the ground instead of waiting for poles??
The system with the poles in the air are so out if time!

Because the (political) will isn't there, neither is the money - it is a very costly operation. It's the same thing in many areas in the USA and many other countries.
Setting up the electrical system in a good way (cables in the ground, where they belong, using the higher voltage like we do in Europe, build modern, efficient, less poluting power plants) involves big investments.
In Europe, at least where you and I were born and raised, Marion Olga, authorities recognized that these investments would pay off on the long run run. That's why when Europe was rebuilt after WW2 the electrical system was  completely overhauled and things were done the right way.
It pays off. Storms don't wipe out the electrical grid.
Also, the European co-operation allows for fast switching of power supply when f.i. a power plant anywhere has to shut down. When there's extra need of electrical power in let's say The Netherlands and Austria has spare power available, diverting that extra capacity is a matter of a couple of mouse clicks.

Gary wrote:

Because the (political) will isn't there, neither is the money - it is a very costly operation.

It's really just the money -- no politics at all.  Burying the lines is more costly than repairing them over the life of the lines.  Yes, customers complain when power goes out, but you have little alternative, and the power company knows that.  No competition translates to poor customer service.

Well, OK, there are some "politics" here as well, but that too factors into the economics of the decision.  The power company loses money when the grid is down, so in theory it should take cost-effective measures to assure the supply of electricity to its customers.  Of course, when the power company is the government, it has no profit motive, since it can't "go broke".  Thus, no incentive to efficiency, and as noted above, no incentive to provide good customer service.

Today, 109 days after Maria, 45% of the PREPA customers still are without electricity.
Since October 3rd 307,000 people from PR arrived in Florida. Estimates are that around half a million people left after the hurricane and are now somewhere in the lower 48.
Whatever the reason, whoever is to blame, recovery is going too slow.

I been told that the roads and malls show the same level of activity so maybe the government numbers are inflated.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business … story.html

I only know that the people in Mayagüez who live up in the mountains still have no electricity and it looks the same like month ago....

I don't know much of the islands politics but it looks like a large number even if half the figure is right of the younger population relocating has to be a drain on the tax revenue and leave a large number of vacant property at least for now how do you guys think it will affect the economy

Forget about the number of people that left the island as there seem to be different opinions about that and a 'hard' number is hard to get.
What about the operation "Blue Roof" (temporary fixing roofs of houses with a blue tarp?
The USACE stopped with their daily reporting on Dec. 11 (for whatever reason). On that day they said 28% of around 63,000 requested houses had received their blue roof. Today they reported on Twitter that around 34,000 house have been done. That's a little more than half!

Fact remains that the recovery is going way too slow and the longer it takes the more impact it has on the economy and quality of life here on the island.

Billclin wrote:

I don't know much of the islands politics but it looks like a large number even if half the figure is right of the younger population relocating has to be a drain on the tax revenue and leave a large number of vacant property at least for now how do you guys think it will affect the economy

yea, it will be a sad situation for a long time.   Based on our friends and others we know in PR (just my anecdotal observations), many young adults are forced to flee the island in order to find a job to feed the kids and pay the rent and put the kids in school.  This is even more prevelant among the skilled and professional classes.  The elderly, poor and unskilled are forced to remain in many cases as they don't have the resources to move.   There are exceptions, of course, but the next few years are bleak for many folks on the island.

I think it's a no brainer that foreclosures will be very plentiful in the coming months.  (bottom feeders alert!)   

If you're in the real estate market, now is a good time to start shopping for the bargain of a lifetime.  Just be ready to invest plenty of time and energy into the search. 

As they say, "Cash is king &   Money talks, bull**it walks."   :cool:

Billclin wrote:

Population has been moving to the states for many years, so far we have more Puerto Ricans in the states than in the island.
The economy pre Maria has drven many to the states.

Post maria the numbers appear much karger since a lot of people lost their homes, have no electricity and some no running water. But a good number are also temporary.

Without a job, people cant feed their family or pay rent or a mortgage. Many can not aford to repair thei homes or replace their belongings. Also Fema and other government agencies will not help a good number of those affected because they were squaters of the land. If they dont own the land they get zero help.

Sitka wrote:
Billclin wrote:

yea, it will be a sad situation for a long time.   Based on our friends and others we know in PR (just my anecdotal observations), many young adults are forced to flee the island in order to find a job to feed the kids and pay the rent and put the kids in school.  This is even more prevelant among the skilled and professional classes.  The elderly, poor and unskilled are forced to remain in many cases as they don't have the resources to move.   There are exceptions, of course, but the next few years are bleak for many folks on the island.

I think it's a no brainer that foreclosures will be very plentiful in the coming months.  (bottom feeders alert!)   

If you're in the real estate market, now is a good time to start shopping for the bargain of a lifetime.  Just be ready to invest plenty of time and energy into the search. 

As they say, "Cash is king &   Money talks, bull**it walks."   :cool:

Very true Sitka.
As to bottom feaders, if you dont buy it they will not have a sale, it is the name of the game.

Before the storm a lot of properties stayed in the market for 2 years, there are less buyers now so they need sell cheaper than before

Well...fellow bottom feeders...as they say, if the shoe fits...   I must admit, I will be keeping my eyes open for an opportunity if I see one once we return to the island.

For now, I'm stuck in the deep freeze here in CT.  Hope to escape to PR in a month or so.

I arrived in Ponce early New Years day.  First thing I noticed was that it was quiet. It is New years and La Promesa so that may account for the quietness but "Eden" the health food store a block from my house is gone. My mechanic a couple blocks from my house is gone. There is not to many indications that a hurricane was here as the trees are still standing and they have leaves. Some roofs are gone and widows too. Many of the buildings had already been abandoned. Tomorrow will be the beginning of the week so we shall see. I got around on a bicycle as my car has sat for a year and a half. With a new battery I will head to the farm tomorrow  after I get the Marbete. The farm is 1200 feet above sea level so I will see what has happened there.  We have utilities and internet in town and even had a guest.  I have ordered seeds to start a garden and am considering chickens next. I will most likely order chicks online, Plymouth rock are good layers.

Sitka wrote:

Well...fellow bottom feeders...as they say, if the shoe fits...   I must admit, I will be keeping my eyes open for an opportunity if I see one once we return to the island.

For now, I'm stuck in the deep freeze here in CT.  Hope to escape to PR in a month or so.

CT? I thought you were from Texas.

Yup, spent about ten years working in Texas (UTMB) , then AZ for a few.  Retired to CT -- when talking to the new neighbors in CT, most told me I was moving the wrong way!    :D

You do crazy things for family.  But I have sobered up -- we got a piece of paradise in PR.   Going asap.

Sitka, I would love for you to do a post about the pro and con of beach front properties and what if any damage were caused by the storms.

A lot of expats wear these rose color glasses and have a romantic view of getting property at the beach. You have beach front and can open their eyes.

I remain optimistic about the short term and long term effects the storm has had.  My wife works for a major  airline and is at the San Juan airport almost every day. Yes after the storm, many left as we all know but   many are now coming back as order is gradually being restored in many parts of the island.  Planes are coming back full of locals. Is it only for the holidays? Time will tell.  I can state  that  at my job a majority of the ones that left have already returned or plan to do so this month. At my church the same can be said and that's even with  our community still without power, and it's been said that it may be March before it's completely restored around here, but what excites me is that I still see money being spent.. We tried to go watch the a movie at the theater in Arecibo about a month and a half  ago and the show was sold out (not star wars), a few weeks ago at the large mall in San Juan the parking was so full you had to do valet or park across the street, on multiple occasions now we have had to restaurant hop in Isabela to find a seat because many of them were full,  last week we went to a large indoor trampoline facility that just opened up in caguas that had a line out the door to get in and yesterday seeing thousands out at a 3 kings festival in old San Juan that had a small entry fee along with a fee for each ride. I know it will take time to a "thriving " economy here but after witnessing first hand how things were shortly after the storm never would I have imagined such a turnaround in just over 3 months in the areas that I have been to post Maria.  I always see the glass half full and i look forward to seeing more victories (small or large) as the recovery continues..

ReyP wrote:

Sitka, I would love for you to do a post about the pro and con of beach front properties and what if any damage were caused by the storms.

A lot of expats wear these rose color glasses and have a romantic view of getting property at the beach. You have beach front and can open their eyes.

Well OK...Rey, you are correct, there are many issues to consider when looking at beach front or near beach front property.   The list of issues mostly revolves around very high maintenance and security.

I have lived in a number of beach front, or close to waterfront properties in a few states, including Alaska, Texas gulf coast and Puerto Rico over a number of years in these various states.  Mostly, it maters little where, salt is salt and it is a relentless enemy.

Maintenance:

The effects of the salt water environment extend to not only beach front property, boat moorage, but also including near beach/waterfront property.  Salt spray and salt air will reach everything on your property, indoors and out, all  metal will be  attacked, corrorded, rusted and eventually destroyed by the unrelenting effects of salt corrosion.     

When building in the salt water environment, all construction should be done with non rustable materials.  Stainless steel hardware, fasteners, screws, bolts etc are necessary.  Aluminum is not suitable, it will corrode rapidly ( e.g. I put up a simple clothes line on the beach house, it had aluminum pulleys for the line -  they were shot in 6 months, switched to plastic).

The salt will attack the exterior of the house including the roof, paint, walls, doors, windows, etc.   The interior is also under attack, all appliances, ac units, electronics, fixtures, hardware, hinges, latches, lighting, tools, etc will be rusted.  We have friends who got new stainless steel kitchen appliances (not on the beach, off/near beach) and they said they had rust starting within six months of installation.   We recently bought a couple new kitchen appliances, went for black enamel as it may resist/not show rust as quickly.  Requires monthly waxing to retard rusting.  Your car will rust out too.

My house is cement, but it still takes a toll.

Bottom line  - sooner or later the salt will win.  Learn to love wood and plastic whenever possible.

Security / Weather

If you are on the beach, you are exposed.  The beach is public access - if you want security, you will need some sort of physical closure/ fence / barrier to secure your property.  Home security systems, boots on the ground housekeeper, smith & wesson.

The beach exposes you to all storms, wind, surf, high tides, erosion, or other weather related problems.  Be prepared for a cat 5 hurricane.

Because of the public beach exposure, we had a few issues with local junkies, drunks and bums on the beach - gave em the bums rush,  now we have a local presence and no problems.  Nevertheless, consider the potential problems.  Most folks are very nice and helpful.  Get to know the cops.

Yes, I got a hammock under the coconut palms with a Corona - love it - but it is a 
PIA to maintain.  Good luck!   :cool:

Thanks for the info we had heard some of the problems but man make the 15 to 30 min trip to the beach look good we had been looking at property right on the beach but it looks like you need to factor in a monthly bill just to keep up
We believe the island will come back but it is like most of the Midwest we had a big mass exodus when the auto industry took a drive and we had a town 30 min from us that half the town was for sale. I have friends in Detroit try to sell a house there
I will amit the property price is part of the attraction to us but not all  of it thanks