Online shopping in Italy

Hello everyone,

Shopping online can be far more convenient and offer greater choice than going into shops, be it grocery shopping or retail.

Are there options for online shopping in Italy? Which sites or apps do you use most frequently and are these local or international?

Are there particular products that are cheaper to buy online or that are perhaps not available in Italy?

What is the delivery process like — is it easy to receive deliveries and what are the costs of shipping? Are there any taxes to pay upon receipt?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Hi Priscilla,

I use Amazon.it every week. I pay the 90EUR it whatever the cost is to become a prime member (free shipping) and they have basically everything you need. Obviously amazon.com has much more selection but I was very surprised to see how much is on amazon.it. You can also find international products without free shipping if you are desperate to have a specific item but everything works perfectly, even returns. Blown away by how easy everything is.

I, Like Iansaron, also use Amazon but both .IT and .co.uk.. Used in tandem they have provided most things large and small that I have needed. I have Prime membership on both sites and the cost is easily returned with no further cost for delivery and also use of the UK Prime video and film service. I also have products sent to a UK address, hence two Prime memberships. I have used the Prime services 32 times from the UK site to Italy and 52 times from the Italian site in the last 6 months.

I have ordered carpets, long stainless steel handrails, batteries, light fittings, plugs and a lot more that are delivered to my Italian home. I use both sites to research and compare with each other and I have found most things that I want for my recent move to Italy this way. A lot of items on the UK site can be shipped to Italy for a modest charge and some items on the UK site cost a lot more on the Italian site even with delivery costs included. As I say research and compare. Also, I use the Google translate extension to Chrome to translate the Italian site.

A good recent example of comparing UK and Italian sites is the purchase of 2 very large carpets (11ft by 7ft). The UK would deliver to Italy for £27 each but the Italian site cost only €27 for both even though in each case the despatching depot would have been the same. On the other hand, I have experienced prices that have been equivalent but the items, again, came from the UK depot but using Italian Prime delivery. I cannot make much sense of this disparity.

Delivery is ok but I have found that UPS is the worst company often failing to deliver on time even saying I was not at home to take delivery on several occasions, only delivering after I have complained to UPS HQ in the US. It seems that items coming from Germany tend to use UPS. Generally, the other couriers are much the same except that I have found GLS to be very reliable.