A CLOSER LOOK

To swing out over a precipice and then never let go...well one could form many different narratives to the extent of letting or never letting go. It really is up to the individual how that plays out. From the cultural shock of entering a impoverished barrio in Santiago to now back in the States with my DR wife and two daughters...one could say I swung way out over the unknown...let go...did a double back flip....then grabbed a frayed strand of was left of a good life line, and managed to survive the landing....at least it can be said.." a landing". Happy? yes.yes.yesyesyes. Nervous? You bet. At 59 you start seeing a different timeline. Adventure and passion very seldom demand an age requirement. From every situation, if it be monetarily or physically, we can enjoy passion and adventure. Not all of my stories will detail the life of a Domincan in the DR...no now I have stories of a lifetime barrio dweller who has entered into the unknown...(the US)it is my lifes passion to watch and learn what I have taken for granted...and try explain to others what it means. Someday we will return to the DR and the circle of life will be seen differently.

Life is an adventure and new adventures can be a very good thing.  You only go around once.  Keep the posts coming.

Bob K

Ahhhh honey you inspire many to take that leap of faith. You did it different then many and there are lessons to be learned from it!!!!

Keep writing my friend.

As I put my fingers to the task of trying re enter the forum world, I feel alone and disconnected. Of course this is fault of my own. Like a moving comet I blaze back into view now and then and disappear. My heart is beating faster and I feel a bit of anxiousness knowing I will soon be back in Santiago de los Caballeros. Yes, we are spending a few weeks back in paradise. I am sleeping with a fan revved up a night, of course its facing my closet. Just trying to get my self accustomed to "the sounds". Next music and car horns. May get into trouble if I self amuse with horn honking here in the States. It is my hope to somehow connect with a few who I have met here in Expat and have you all ask me the million questions you might have. All I can say is, "another Presidente por favor."

Welcome back honey! We have missed you.

Write whenever you want!

Twas a bolt from out of the etherworld when I saw  "A Closer Look" Knew it was you, A sorely missed addition to our days. How is your book coming along? Still keeping contact with Maxime?  I miss him also.  My  vision has gone astray, leaving me in a world of gray fading  away. The draw of other worlds is strong. It brought me back once the docs said there is nothing more to be done.  However, there is a dim light in the distance. Stem cell research in Cuba. If they accept me, some friends will do a Go Fund Me to cover expenses.    I think of the gate in the wall & the history of the hands that built it. A legacy of thought is the gift that you, Jeff have given us. Good to have back again for a while. We need the provocation to think.  Thanks Bro, thanks

I am truly aware of Tinkerers inconvenience, however your words and insights are as intriguing and inspirational as always. My book was nearly ready for editing until the individual who inspired me to write it suddenly passed away. He was a retired commercial airline pilot who flew for Eva out of Tiwan. Also my flying instructor. Combined with his input and my fictional aspiration to portray the adventurous nature of the both of us I undertook a very tedious and yet non stop fiction adventure. For now I am waiting for the right time to bring closure to his legacy. The idea of including the Dominican Republic  as a part of this read has again brought me into a struggle of deciding either to have a sequel or bring into the existing text some significant recognition of the island. I am hoping to make it over to Puerta Plata and from there make connections with Planner and Tinkerer and maybe head north through Sosua toward Cabrera. We have met an group of Dominicans and have monthly fiestas over here in the NW corner of the States. Ah, the crisp and fresh chill of fall has triggered my desire to once again return to paradise.

1st. lesson was in an Aeronca Champ!

Floats or tires?

Oh, yeah "Airknocker" tail dragger.

Cessna 172

I am sorry for your loss. The book will evolve as it should honey. 

Let me know when you are going to visit, would love to get together with you and your lovely wife!!!

New Paltz N.Y. dirt strip 1961, stick, tandem, flap wheel left floor.

You definitely had a multitasking aircraft, especially no horizontal view until tail lift....respect.

Young, excited & had no frame of reference, not much speed needed to lift the tail, but so gentle forward with stick or a slow scaryfing ground loop looms.  No intercom, sAhouted instructions.  We were blissfully unaware of how crazy we were.   All this for $12 an hour!