IMPORT MY CAR FROM THE UK TO CAPE TOWN.

Good Morning. Im the new guy on the block and could do with some help ... if possible. I am going back to Scotland the 24th March to sell my house and possessions and obviously, I am looking to bring some things here to Cape Town. I have looked at web-sites with a few to bringing my car here. I would be grateful for any feedback/advice about how I should go about this. The road I am proposing to take, is my car and personal possessions in a 20 foot container. The car and possessions are of NO great value, but I would have to replace the things that I sell/leave in Scotland. The car is a different ball game. I know the car I have, the history, service, MOT. etc. ... and would therefore prefer the devil I know, rather than buy a devil I dont.

... Help required ...

Regards ........ Francie Ward.

Hi Francie,

Welcome on Expat-blog! :)

I hope that other members will be able to advise you very soon.

Wish you good luck
Christine

Thank you for the welcome, I hope to receive some advice and I am sure I will be a regular on here.......

Francie

I'm not sure of the logistics but you will need to bear in mind how long you have owned the car and other possessions as this can have tax implications.

I believe it is a lengthy process with a lot of form filing required.

Hi Francie

Just saw yr msg and wondered if you had up to date info on this topic which u could share?
Would be so helpful!

Thanks

Hi Francie

No offense, but I think you would be mad to try and import your UK vehicle.  There are thousands of reputable dealers here, and you can get 2nd hand cars checked by the AA (yes they are here!). The cars are more expensive here, but so are second hand residual values.  I believe importing will incur high duty price as well as lots of hassle. Good luck!

Francie
Did you bring your car to South Africa?