My first month in nepal

Well let me start with the facts...... what a toilet!
Coming from a western world I find nepal appalling 😐I live in pokhara and here they do not have one decent hotel......yep not one.
That said if your into yoga, and finding inner piece and were born with no ambition to make a fiscal success of your live? this place is heaven. Less is more seems to be the reason to get out of bed?

My observations will not auger well with the spiritual type or person who is still trying to find him /herself,  I am here on a work contract and I'm tired of hearing that the state president earns less than we do I don't care, I'm not a person who spent 10 years honing skills to end up working in a NGO!
Having just had a rather candid conversation with a surgeon who studied all his life to find out that being poor and living on the bare essential is in fact his calling.
In contrast my calling is fast cars beautiful sea side homes and faster women all these things could never exist in this place.
The airports are toilets the roads ...what roads 😈fine if your born with a bycycle as your dream vehicle. So for you guys coming from the US or the U.K. Please contact me for a different view on this hole of a place.
Currently I'm enjoying KTM while I'm sorting out the rudest of pigs who run immigration.....what a bunch of nepotistic wanna be important M@$$' F@@& rs and in doing so found a gem amongst the filth and disarray The Shambala Hotel is almost what us who come from a civalised world expect, a great place after a day of frustration ( not work Nepali males are not familiar with work) it's a hotel you can stay in clean food, is great and the staff are top draw, a rare find.

had I known what a mess of a place this is I would have doubled my rate to work hear!  nepal is not for me in fact after almost 7 years in neighboring Paki and Afghanistan I would say I had more fun in the war that here in fact the roads in Afghanistan are better that what I have witnessed here,

Let me conclude by saying I will not miss this place once I have concluded my stay!,

😐

I honestly didn't get much of what you're writing.

Nevertheless, it's about adaptability. I wish you a good stay in Nepal.

I didn't do much research before I got here, either. I came here on a visa run from India almost 7 years ago. Ya, not so many roads. One time I helped a taxi out of a hole it had fallen into while driving on one of our roads. The hole was bigger than the taxi; it was a hilarious picture.

Everyone has different needs and clearly, you need a more familiar lifestyle than Nepal can offer.

The moment I knew Nepal had captured my heart was one night when I got lost in Thamel after dinner. It was so late and I was so tired as I saw 4 Asian, young men coming toward me on what seemed to be an unlit alleyway. I froze with fear knowing I'd be robbed, raped, and left for dead in this country with no electricity, infrastructure or friends. As they approached each folded their hands in front of them as they said, "Namaste." It's the safest, most affordable place for an old American lady on a small pension. Nepal: My retirement home.

Zeeten wrote:

I honestly didn't get much of what you're writing.

Nevertheless, it's about adaptability. I wish you a good stay in Nepal.

Thank you Sir

We adapt if we have too. I have no intention to live or retire in Nepal (after all what is wrong with Monaco?) or Some other place like Mabaya in Spain for retirement? I appreciate that things are real cheap in Nepal for people who earn USD and this could be an incentive.

I am simply stating how I as a western person sees Nepal and am not sugar coating the pill for people who wish to travel here to find out when they can can get different views from different people, as we say in between all the comments one can make there own mind up about a place

If your into counterfeit goods and rubbish quality merchandise you in mecca, if your into street food with catering cleanliness that is in line with what animals eat from your in the right place, Myself not tearing it apart just tabling for clarity my findings, if your into a place where your attracted to every male gargling and spitting at your feet your at home in this place...

The government officials and staff seem elevated in status and have an opinion that is unnecessary and seem to think every person they speak too must be subservient, because they think they are the top dog...very confusing for me because in the free world people who staff government jobs are not real bright nor incentivsed to earn the big buks

So I find the local officials here to be nepotistic filled with self importance and the police and airport security, firstly I can see they have zero actual combat training or skills that could save there life if they were attacked, in contrast normally police and security staff are not to be messed with, but them most security people I have met are armed with more than just a whistle!

Look if Nepal with is natural beauty works for you then that is all that counts ok, for the guys who are coming here to work be prepared to step back into past where nothing works the buildings are tired the men are lazy.

For me Nepal is pretty (from the air) but on the ground its a toilet with some real crazy stupid laws, no infrastructure and a place I will add to my CV as Been there done that and no thank you.

But if your into free wifi and top end smart phone your ok in Nepal...

I guess as stated before, everyone has different needs and goals.

Considering my own experience here in Nepal, after one year living here, am finding it an awesome place to be. I am attending training in traditional Newari arts. Kathmandu Valley is a living museum regarding traditional himalayan arts, and it is particularly interesting to train within such a context. I really feel an unique artistic heritage here, walking around the durbar squares looking at temples and wood/stone carvings, it gives me great inspiration. I often have this feeling to be back in time while walking around the small alleys of old Kathmandu, Patan or Bhaktapur. I guess nowhere else in the world I could have had this experience (Maybe in Bali, Balinese and Newar cultures sharing lots of similarities).

Regarding people, most of Nepali are super friendly, and will do their best to help you out. If you like multiethnic society, Nepal is a good place to be. Newars, Tamangs, Gurungs, Limbus, Magars, Chettris, Sherpas ... countless of cultural groups having their own traditions and festivals.

Regarding food, if you like North Indian, Chinese, Tibetan foods then you'd be happy here. I also find Nepal a great place to eat vegetarian.

For sure if you are into Yoga and meditation, Nepal is a good place to live in.

On the darker side of things, roads are not good here, even in the capital city Kathmandu, where they have dug up many areas to undertake different projects (water project, ring road extension). With all these road works, air quality has been gradually more and more dusty over the months last year. Now it seems to get a bit better.

There would be plenty other subjects to discuss about (regarding "good" and "bad" things), it's a bit difficult to synthesize everything in a message here.

Well to me your experience in Nepal will depend of your mindset : if you hold on the life you have in the West, then better stay home. If you come with a flexible mindset and you are ready to challenge your preconceptions, then welcome and enjoy the journey :-)

Well I hold on to very little, I am here because I was transferred on a work contract to pass on some skills to local people.

I have no issue with the locals, they are more friendly than locals say in the DRC or NYC, I also could not care less about the culture temples and religion, If it was not for the USD I would be elsewhere. (sorry Im just being honest) in my interview with some twat at immigration he inquired what I was earning, I think he is still in shock! what do these people think we are all prepared to work for like 1500USD/ month?? while I appreciate that in Nepali terms this is big money, considering a local here on a good wicket will see about 300USD / month.

Not all people who end up in KTM or PKR are tourists, we have to work to satisfy our bosses. Once you have flown to Everest and done the local airports its really just a job, after all Table Mountain in CT is as magnificent as a Mount Fishtail or the mother of all peaks here at 8800m.

I appreciate that many who end up in Nepal have different reasons, myself I dont need to find myself, I dont need to explore interesting eating habits, >..
One thing I was not prepared for was the lack of everything as in everything...my god what did the world move on and leave this place behind to suffer.

Simple things like roads, hot water, or even just cold COLD water are like special.

Not going to miss this toilet when Im done, my comments to colleagues who may need to follow up when Im gone.... lets increase out rate after all we are not on Holiday.

Im just giving a different opinion and perspective to guys who are considering moving here to work.
If your a person who wants little in life, who has ambition to sit under the tree and watch life go by who loves tranquility (and filth) then this is your place

If your a person who wants to go places in your career you want to grow and in turn grow your net wealth stay away from Nepal, cars they attract a 200 Percent import duty, the government is very corrupt.

One would think with such a nice warm climate you would see a swimming pool.....forget it I think I counted two in Total from the air.

Thank god people have developed the Western world in fact my term working in Alaska was better than what Im seeing here.

just my opinion

Oh ja and women........my god the Nepalese men must suffer