Indonesia's most expensive cities

Hello everyone,

What are the most expensive cities to live in Indonesia? What are the costs of things such as rent, utilities, weekly groceries, dining out, etc.?

What is the lifestyle like in these cities, for expats and locals?

What are the different neighbourhoods like? Are there more affordable areas?

Do you have any experience living in any of Indonesia's most expensive cities? What was it like?

Which cities in Indonesia would you recommend? Are there any that offer particularly good value for money when it comes to cost of living?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Jakarta rents look a lot like telephone numbers, especially the bits where expats hang around.
South Jakarta is probably the worst area in the whole of Indonesia for crime but that area's rents tend to cost per month what I pay per year a few miles outside the city.
Rented houses are commonly and illegally priced in US$, these places being aimed at expats with a lot more can than idea of the cost of living in Indonesia.
I've heard how Indonesia is a lot more expensive than the UK, but that's because the expats get seriously ripped off.
Such places charge a lot more for security and rubbish collection so always ask about the monthly service charges before signing a contract.
Watch out for street crime in those areas, most of which is related to drinking, drugs and prostitution.
I wouldn't live there for a gold pig.
Get a few miles out of Jakarta's bule areas and you can rent for a tenth of the cost and live in a far better place.
The killer is Jakarta's terrible traffic, that meaning you have to live close by your office or be on a public transport link.
Look at trains and transjakarta bus services but avoid peak times when possible as they resemble cattle trucks at rush hour.
Many expats live in BSD as there is so much commerce and so many schools in that area. It has good shopping, far less traffic and housing is a lot cheaper, 30 million/year getting you a nice house in a safe area with almost no crime.

Which cities in Indonesia would you recommend? Are there any that offer particularly good value for money when it comes to cost of living?

Much of this depends on work and that commonly means in or near the big city but, if work isn't an issue, any of the smaller to medium size towns such as Purwokerto are a good move.
Quiet but still enough shopping to keep you in pizza but rents start at about 5 million/year for a two bed house. You'll have to pay 15 or more for something newer in a guarded estate.

Denpasar is also bit expensive, but no so bad as Jakarta. When u can find a nice mansion just outsite a big city like Denpasar, the prices are mutch more cheap!

Surabaya has a wide range of property prices and without doubt there is the "bule"  factor to costing.  I do not believe for a moment that its a case of supply and demand of the market forces rather the house prices are in US dollars and a focussed market at foreigners with the apparent ability to pay rather than the market forces of what is the property actually worth.  This is the case with the rental or retail market.  The end result is the properties on offer are simply not worth the asking prices.  Only a fool would pay because he can and not because the property is worth the investment.  I do find it comical that purchasing a property is complicated but raising the asking price because of your nationality is commonplace. 

Personally I'm happy to lease and maintain residential mobility within my city of choice.

My current address (penthouse) has all the mod--cons of pool and gym- with malls close by and easy access to the International Airport.

Its distressing that the purchase price of new residences is beyond the buying power of most Indonesian nationals.

In Surabaya, many expats live in the western part of the city with access to higher price shopping and the proliferation of golf courses, nightclubs, karaoke and the like.

If we're house-hunting I send my Ambon princess (wife) to scout the residence and check the local facilities.  My face just raises the fixed costs of renting the property.

Supadave wrote:

Surabaya has a wide range of property prices and without doubt there is the "bule"  factor to costing.  I do not believe for a moment that its a case of supply and demand of the market forces rather the house prices are in US dollars and a focussed market at foreigners with the apparent ability to pay rather than the market forces of what is the property actually worth.  This is the case with the rental or retail market.  The end result is the properties on offer are simply not worth the asking prices.  Only a fool would pay because he can and not because the property is worth the investment.  I do find it comical that purchasing a property is complicated but raising the asking price because of your nationality is commonplace. 

If we're house-hunting I send my Ambon princess (wife) to scout the residence and check the local facilities.  My face just raises the fixed costs of renting the property.

I want to 'like' that post twice.
You're 100% correct

jakarta, surabaya, denpasar and medan are known to be the expensive cities but not as expensive as in papua like in jayapura or manokwari. i havent been there yet but my colleagues worked there before. the reason why it's expensive there because most of the food source and other essential things were brought from Java and other island, so the cost of transport makes the price go higher.