Germany's most expensive cities

Hello everyone,

What are the most expensive cities to live in Germany? What are the costs of things such as rent, utilities, weekly groceries, dining out, etc.?

What is the lifestyle like in these cities, for expats and locals?

What are the different neighbourhoods like? Are there more affordable areas?

Do you have any experience living in any of Germany's most expensive cities? What was it like?

Which cities in Germany would you recommend? Are there any that offer particularly good value for money when it comes to cost of living?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Hello,

Munich is the most expensive place to live in Germany.
The cheapest place to live is Berlin :-D

Cheers

Nath

rana0012 wrote:

Munich is the most expensive place to live in Germany.
The cheapest place to live is Berlin :-D

It is true that Munich is by some margin the most expensive city in Germany (followed by Stuttgart and Frankfurt).
But Berlin is definitely NOT the cheapest - that honour goes to Eastern German cities like Leipzig, Chemnitz, Magdeburg, Halle, etc. - but Bremerhaven (a run-down former industrial city on the North Sea) is also pretty cheap.
The price differential is mostly rent (which can cost a multiple) - prices of goods in shops are largely the same and transport or services are just slightly (~20%) more expensive in the high-cost locations.
Please note that you usually get what you pay for: The cheaper places offer a less attractive lifestyle, have few jobs and lower salaries.

Fully agree with Beppi, I live in Wiehl, 45 minutes away from Cologne, and in a house with 5 Bedroom, for the Same in the Big city, could never afford it.

Most difficult and expensive thing , in Germany , is Apartment rent.
I have been living in Munich , Considered to be most expensive city in Germany. I found that  house rent is crazingly expensive here. However prices of rest of the commodities are reasonable.
It also depends upon your choices and way of living like - do you prefer to eat outside or cook at home, Do you drink a lot , night outs, bars etc. Still i find Munich a livable place and i can easily manage my living standards here. If you stay in Munich then you are in the centre of the Europe and can travel almost everywhere with around maximum 8 hours of drive.

Next to Munich is i guess Hamburg , Frankfurt , Düsseldorf etc. But i am sure that Berlin ,is not one of 5 most expensive cities in Germany.